Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can I fold a round plate like in the drawing

4 REPLIES 4
SOLVED
Message 1 of 5
ozertekins
2343 Views, 4 Replies

How can I fold a round plate like in the drawing

Hi I have been trying to fold a round plate which has 10 milimeters thickness.Is there any way to fold this or unfold ? 

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
mrattray
in reply to: ozertekins

No, not without a third party program. Inventor can't deal with plastic deformation.
Mike (not Matt) Rattray

Message 3 of 5
CAG_DRAFT
in reply to: mrattray

Isn't the sheet metal environment modelling plastic deformation? (sort of?)

Can you mention a TPP that would be able to model the proposed part here?

Message 4 of 5
mrattray
in reply to: CAG_DRAFT

I suppose it is, technically. I think a better phrase may have been "plastic deformation in more than one direction".
There's an add-in available from SPI, and many other stand alone programs. I don't use any myself as most of my sheet metal work is standard press-brake and roll form fabrication.
Mike (not Matt) Rattray

Message 5 of 5
jbennett_pc
in reply to: ozertekins

A cheap and dirty way might be to model up a dummy unfolded part and simply place the two into different representations.  So that to "fold" or "unfold" you would simply switch representations.  In additions you can use some of the dimensions of the folded part to drive the dimensions of the unfolded part and lock in some parametrics.  Granted this does ignore most of the finer calculations of plastic deformations, but it should work for a visual representation.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report