Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How Long For A Part Fill / Mold Fill Analysis?

11 REPLIES 11
Message 1 of 12
LT.Rusty
834 Views, 11 Replies

How Long For A Part Fill / Mold Fill Analysis?

Okay, so it's been a while since I've done one of these, and I haven't done one on 2014 at all yet.

I've got a fairly simple part, it's about 6" long x 3" wide, less than 3/8" thick, without a whole lot of complex geometry to work with.  I've built up my whole mold for it, and that went okay, but the fill analysis seems like it's taking forever.  Like hours.  It gets to the "Fill" stage, gets just a sliver of green on the progress bar, and then sits.

Last time I tried this was on my workstation at the office, using 2013.  It didn't take nearly this long, and the part was much larger and far more complex, with a significantly slower computer.

Is something broken with this in 2014?  I guess I can just let it run overnight, see what happens in the morning ...

Rusty

EESignature

11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12
JDMather
in reply to: LT.Rusty

Can you attach the original *.ipt file here?

Is it slow with both part fill analysis and with mold fill analysis?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Message 3 of 12
LT.Rusty
in reply to: JDMather

Yeah, it's slow on both part fill and mold fill.  Part fill should be quick, almost instantaneous, with the machine I've got.  I don't think it's actually DOING anything, though - my CPU load is constant at 1-3%, and it seems like I should have one core completely maxed out.  (Maybe all - I think this is one of the multi-threaded parts of Inventor.)  I let it run overnight last night, and this morning the progress bar still hadn't moved - just the barest sliver of green once it got to the "fill" part of the simulation.

I know you're not a fan of downloading stuff that's not attached here, but my RAR file is still 14 megs, so gotta share the dropbox link instead.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/l6z0soklx1dvmx0/iPhone%20Case%20-%20Front%20Half.rar

(And yes, I know the part design isn't perfect - this is more in the way of a refresher than anything else.  This isn't actually going to get made.)

Rusty

EESignature

Message 4 of 12
LT.Rusty

Oh, and I'd also be curious to see whether or not you observe any weirdness with the derived part spun off from the original part file ...  There may or may not be something odd there ... 

Rusty

EESignature

Message 5 of 12
JDMather

@LT.Rusty wrote:

I know you're not a fan of downloading stuff that's not attached here, ...

I will have to wait till tomorrow when I am at my secure machine to take a look.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

EESignature

Message 6 of 12
LT.Rusty

Hm.

This is interesting.

I built a new mold around the same parts - this time it's a 2-cavity mold, to get both the front and back halves of the part at once - and attempted to run either a part fill or a mold fill analysis.  Anyway, it looks like it might be a licensing issue?  Mitsi.exe / mitsijm.exe / Inventor.exe / mhb3d.exe are generating quite a bit of network activity, but there's absolutely nothing happening CPU-wise.

It almost looks like a firewall issue, except that they're receiving as much data - or more - than they're sending.

Rusty

EESignature

Message 7 of 12
JDMather

@LT.Rusty wrote:
I built a new mold around the same parts - ...

The obvious question - have you tried with a simple cube or cylinder part?

EESignature

Message 8 of 12
LT.Rusty
in reply to: JDMather

As a matter of fact, yes.  I can get a fill analysis on a flat coupon of plastic.

I finally got an error message out of it after messing around further.  It's (if I remember correctly) Error 20000200, saying that an input file cannot be found.  The input file has a .UMD extension, and the filename is 30 or 40 characters long.

Rusty

EESignature

Message 9 of 12
MingweiGao

Hello, I just downloaded your dataset and have a try in Inventor Profession 2014. Although some standard components are missed in your file(you can pack and go to package the all files), I got the results of Part Fill and Mold Fill.  Each analysis spent about 6-7 minutes on my machine. 

Steven Gao

Sr. SQA Engineer

Message 10 of 12
LT.Rusty
in reply to: MingweiGao

I actually did pack-and-go on that, just deleted the project files and such.

You didn't get an error about a missing .UDM file?

Rusty

EESignature

Message 11 of 12
MingweiGao

Oh, I have three standard components missed during I open the assembly. Refer to the attached picture. Anybody meets the same problem or just on my side?

I didn't meet the error about a missing .UDM file and all working well during the Part/Mold Fill Analysis.

Steven Gao

Sr. SQA Engineer

Message 12 of 12
LT.Rusty
in reply to: MingweiGao

Huh.

Must have checked the box for skip library parts or something.

Any thoughts about the high network traffic from mitsi.exe, etc., combined with low CPU loads?

Rusty

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report