Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hole in Frame Member?

20 REPLIES 20
SOLVED
Message 1 of 21
rturner
5225 Views, 20 Replies

Hole in Frame Member?

Is if possible to create a hole in an assembly created with Frame Generator? (Inventor 11) I searched the threads and Help with no luck.

Thanks,
TR
20 REPLIES 20
Message 2 of 21
JDMather
in reply to: rturner

Yes.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Message 3 of 21
rturner

How?
Message 4 of 21
Anonymous

Do you mean that you want to create a hole on the created Frame members? Actually it is same as to create a hole in a simple assembly.

Assumed you have inserted Frame members, now

1. From the Panel Bar list, back to Assembly Panel
2. Click Hole command on this Panel bar
3. Place and set a hole on your assembly
4. Ok to get the hole

Let me know whether it is helpful.

Zhanjie (ADSK)
Message 5 of 21
rturner

Yes, I wanted to create a hole in a generated Frame member. When I go from Frame Generator panel to Weldment Assembly Panel, I have no Hole Feature tool. This is what stumped me. But, I discovered that when I double-clicked on Machining in the Model View, the panel switches to the Weldment Features Panel, which does show the Hole tool. Then I was able to create a hole.

Thanks for your help
Message 6 of 21
JDMather

Do you want the hole at the part level or the assembly level, that is, is the hole drilled before the parts are welded up or after?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

EESignature

Message 7 of 21
rturner

Since Frame Generator creates the frame at the assembly level, I had no choice but to drill at that level. At the part level, there is no frame member to drill, only a sketch.
Message 8 of 21
JDMather

If you have created a frame you must have created a frame member ipt. How are you creating your frame?
Zip and attach.

EESignature

Message 9 of 21
rturner

I apparently did something different in previous attempts, because this time, I had no problems finding the HOLE tool.

This is how I created my frame.
1. Created Part.ipt and sketched a skeletal model in it.
2. Created an Assembly.iam and placed Part.ipt in it.
3. Switched from Assembly Panel to Frame Generator.
4. Generated a frame by: clicking the INSERT tool; selecting a frame member; clicking the sketched lines in Part.ipt; and, clicking OK.
5. Switched back from Frame Generator to Assembly Panel.
6. Using the HOLE tool, ‘drilled’ a hole in the frame.
Message 10 of 21
Ktelang

Hello,

I have a question on similar lines.

I have created a hole at frame generated ipt level.

But now for some reason I do not see the feature in browser window.

How can I delete the hole from frame generated ipt level ?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Config :: Intel (R) Xeon (R) CPU E31245 @ 3.30 GHz, 16.0 GB, 64bit win7
Inventor 2013 and Vault Basic 2013
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Message 11 of 21
karthur1
in reply to: Ktelang

If the hole is an assembly feature, it will be at the top of the assembly browser.  If you added the hole at the part level, you will have to edit the part to get to the feature.

You could change to feature priority then right click on the hole and choose "edit".

Message 12 of 21
kpadilla
in reply to: karthur1

I am designing a frame that will assemble with bolts. I started by drawing the frame's outline and placing it inside of a new assembly. I then inserted frame members. Now, I want to add the bolt holes. I can easily do this at the assembly level, but holes don't get applied to the individual member parts. Therefore, if I try to put an individual member in a drawing, it won't show any holes. I can go into the part level for each member to make the holes, and they'll show in a drawing, but I essentially have to make twice as many holes. I find this method rather tedious and time consuming.

Is there an efficient solution?

Message 13 of 21
karthur1
in reply to: kpadilla

... Therefore, if I try to put an individual member in a drawing, it won't show any holes. I can go into the part level for each member to make the holes, and they'll show in a drawing, but I essentially have to make twice as many holes. I find this method rather tedious and time consuming.

Is there an efficient solution?

If there are just a few members, you could do it as an assembly feature, then create a view rep in the assembly for each member.  You would have a view rep for each memeber, then in the idw for each part, its associated view rep would be activated.  I never do it this way... but there are some that do.

Not sure I follow what you mean about  "I have to make twice as many holes".

This is the only two ways that I know that you can do what you want.  I always add the holes at the part level.

Message 14 of 21
kpadilla

[quote]If there are just a few members, you could do it as an assembly feature, then create a view rep in the assembly for each member.  You would have a view rep for each memeber, then in the idw for each part, its associated view rep would be activated.  I never do it this way... but there are some that do.[/quote]Yeah, there are a bunch of members, but this method might be easier.

[quote]Not sure I follow what you mean about  "I have to make twice as many holes".[/quote]Well, lets say I have to adjacent parts in an assembly. If I put a hole through both of them in the assembly level, I only went through the process of making a hole once. If I go into each part file and make a hole in each one, I've gone through the hole making process twice.

[quote]This is the only two ways that I know that you can do what you want.  I always add the holes at the part level.[/quote]Well, if there's no way to create holes at the assembly level and then apply them automatically to the parts, hopefully AutoDesk will add the feature.

Message 15 of 21
karthur1

If you decide to use the view rep method and If there are a bunch of members, then be aware that each time you place the parts in the idw, there is a lot of overhead that you are bringing with it.  Just because you dont see it, doesnt mean its not there.  The idw filesize can get very large, very quick if you put all the parts in one idw.  If something goes wrong with this one idw, its good to have a backup to fall back on.

Message 16 of 21
eugene.byrne

I am having a similar problem. i have created a frame using the frame generator. The frame is built of tubular sections and when I click hole it says there are no visible adaptives. I want to put a hole trough one of the tube sections. Any ideas??

Message 17 of 21
karthur1
in reply to: eugene.byrne

What version are you using? Do you want the hole show up at the part level?

Round or Square tubing?

Message 18 of 21
AtNicksLLC
in reply to: Ktelang

I have a similar problem to this...I have created an assembly, with subassembly's, and within each subassembly i have added holes to the part files for each frame member. Now i can not edit the holes or features added. When i originally created them, I could modify them, but now I can't even see them in the browser.  How can i find them in the browser to edit/delete these features?

Message 19 of 21
johnsonshiue
in reply to: AtNicksLLC

Hi! You may want to open the frame member in its own window and you should be able to see the features.

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 20 of 21
luke.dawson278V3
in reply to: JDMather

You are a genius, thankyou. 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report