Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hit & Miss MDT Import

5 REPLIES 5
SOLVED
Message 1 of 6
kstate92
531 Views, 5 Replies

Hit & Miss MDT Import

Yesterday I was able to import an MDT file without issue - it even correctly converted several AMCOMBINE cuts!

Today, a much simpler part and even after 3 tries, all I get is the old middle-finger dialog (attached).  I also love that the dialog still mentions MDT 6.  Updating it, saving it in the current project folder, having it open in MDT 2009 during the import wizard process within Inventor: same result.

After all this time, I still can't figure out the method to do an MDT import with odds of success at any better than a scratch-off lottery ticket.

KState92
Inventor Professional 2020
AutoCAD Mechanical 2022.0.1
Windows 10 Pro 64 bit - 1903
Core i7-8700 32 GB Ram
Quadro P2000
Tags (2)
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
kstate92
in reply to: kstate92

Update: Maybe it works by NOT having the target file open in MDT 2009 during the import procedure, which is what I just (successfully) tried.

Or, maybe it only worked because it's Wednesday.

kstate92 wrote:

Yesterday I was able to import an MDT file without issue - it even correctly converted several AMCOMBINE cuts!

Today, a much simpler part and even after 3 tries, all I get is the old middle-finger dialog (attached).  I also love that the dialog still mentions MDT 6.  Updating it, saving it in the current project folder, having it open in MDT 2009 during the import wizard process within Inventor: same result.

After all this time, I still can't figure out the method to do an MDT import with odds of success at any better than a scratch-off lottery ticket.

KState92
Core i7-8700 32 GB Ram
Quadro P2000
Message 3 of 6
Ray_Feiler

One thing to try is to make sure MDT 2009 was the last opened version of AutoCAD. If you open any other version like Mechanical 201? it will not work. My standard practice is to close all versions of AutoCAD, run MDT 2009 and close it and then try the import.

Well it's been awhile so maybe I don't close MDT, really can't remember.

Product Design & Manufacturing Collection 2024
Sometimes you just need a good old reboot.
Message 4 of 6
kstate92
in reply to: Ray_Feiler

Last AutoCAD run.  I bet that's it.

Now, if I can only remember for next time.

KState92
Core i7-8700 32 GB Ram
Quadro P2000
Message 5 of 6
ampster401

Starting with the 2014 version, you no longer need to have MDT 2009 installed and functioning, at least to import individual MDT part files using the info found here;

http://www.cadalyst.com/cad/inventor/import-mechanical-desktop-drawings-directly-inventor-2014-17225...

Just a note however that that process does not work for assemblies created in MDT and last I heard Adesk is looking into this;

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Inventor-General/Importing-MDT-Assembly-Files-to-Inventor-2014-2015/td...

Message 6 of 6
kstate92
in reply to: ampster401

Just my opinion, both Ray's advice and the method as described in the Cadalyst article linked by you should be permanent sticky links in this forum, and  easily found on the support site.

KState92
Core i7-8700 32 GB Ram
Quadro P2000

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report