Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help with disappearing bolts (when switching computers)

7 REPLIES 7
SOLVED
Message 1 of 8
Anonymous
830 Views, 7 Replies

Help with disappearing bolts (when switching computers)

I'm currently working with the student version of Inventor 2014. I have a copy on my personal laptop and I also use the computers at school. I'm working on a design project between the two computers, but I've recently run into an issue with bolts generated using the design accelerator. It is super convenient being able to generate the bolts, but when I attempt to open the assembly on my home computer I end up with unresolved links for all the bolts (and nuts and washers and...etc).

I can go into the assembly and redo all the bolts, so I know I have access to the same content on both computers, but I can't redo all the bolts on my entire assembly every time I want to work on it. After digging through posts on the boards I found a few possible solutions that I treid but didn't work. So far I've tried:

- Searching through my entire computer for anything resembling the file names it wants

- Using pack and go on the school computer and putting that on my hard drive for use at home

- Reinstalling the content center on my home computer

My assembly involves a lot of S-beams I made using the frame generator and these come through just fine. For some reason it's just the bolts.

Here's the specs on my home computer: 

HP Laptop

Windows 7 Home (64 bit)

Pentium Dual-Core T4400 @ 2.20 GHz

4.00 GB RAM

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated! I'm not sure what other information you would need, but if I left anything out just let me know and I'll give you anything you want short of my social security number if you can solve this problem.

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
JDMather
in reply to: Anonymous

When you place Content Center items (like fasteners) be sure to checkmark the "Custom" checkbox.

This places a copy of the part out of the Content Center and into your assembly folder so that it is no longer dependent on the Content Center.

You have to get in the habit of doing this.

That is what I have my students do to avoid this issue.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 3 of 8
Anonymous
in reply to: JDMather

Thanks for the quick response! I got so excited that I clicked solution accepted before I even made sure I knew what you were talking about, though. I can't find the "custom" checkbox. Can you pont the way to me? Attached a screen cap of the bolt connection component generator screen that I'm using to make said bolts and the assemblies it puts into my folder. Am I just using the wrong tool for the job?

Message 4 of 8
Cadmanto

When you are in the bolted connection dialog window, there is not way to create a custom CC part.  You can just add the holes through the BC and make them custom.

bc.jpg

But in order to make your CC part custom you need to just add the CC part manually and when the dialog window comes up you can select custom here.

cc.jpg

check.PNGIf this solved your issue please mark this posting "Accept as Solution".

Or if you like something that was said and it was helpful, Kudoskudos.PNG are appreciated. Thanks!!!! Smiley Very Happy

New EE Logo.PNG

Inventor.PNG     vault.PNG

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden
(Colossians 3:23-25)

Message 5 of 8
Anonymous
in reply to: Cadmanto

Awesome, thank you both so much! You may have saved my laptop screen from being rage punched to death.

Message 6 of 8
Anonymous

I just got the bolts abbs on my computer and the computer shows only whole dialog box which has list of the bolts except the dialog box that shows on above screen. How can we make that dialog box appear?

Message 7 of 8
Cadmanto

Maria,

Welcome to the forum.

If you are talking about the dialog box that shows the screw with the custom selection that is from when you insert a part from the content center and after you select an insertion point that window appears.  If this is not what you are talking about please explain further.

check.PNGIf this solved your issue please mark this posting "Accept as Solution".

Or if you like something that was said and it was helpful, Kudoskudos.PNG are appreciated. Thanks!!!! Smiley Very Happy

New EE Logo.PNG

Inventor.PNG     vault.PNG

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden
(Colossians 3:23-25)

Message 8 of 8
Anonymous

I try to insert it but the parts were not inserting and also dialog box doesn't appear. I may not tried enough. Thank you for your help. 

Sent from Samsung Mobile

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report