Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help with College Project (Lawnmower)

3 REPLIES 3
SOLVED
Message 1 of 4
deanwallace3
1058 Views, 3 Replies

Help with College Project (Lawnmower)

I am new to this forum so please excuse any bad practices in advance. I am creating a robotic lawnmower for my college project and have create a wheel and tyre arrangement for it.

My inventor skills are very basic but I was on a roll and getting somewhere with my assembly until i came to rotating the wheel. It is joined to an axle which i can rotate which in turn rotates the wheel as intended but the tyre does not rotate?

I have mated all possible faces in order to try to make it work but am getting no luck.

I hae read other forum posts and have heard of mating the axis of 2 parts but am unsure of how this works, does anybody have any links etc that may help as i am finding it difficult to find info on this.

Thanks in advance for any help on this subject.

Dean

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4

Hi deanwallace3,

If I inderstand correctly, you can create a mate between an origin plane in the tire model (the XY plane for instance), and an origin plane in the wheel model. This will allow the tire to rotate with the wheel.

To find the origin planes, expand the model nodes in the browser and look in the origin folders.

I hope this helps.
Best of luck to you in all of your Inventor pursuits,
Curtis
http://inventortrenches.blogspot.com

Message 3 of 4
JDMather
in reply to: deanwallace3

Attach your assembly here if you can't figure it out.

Another way - in the real world the tire and wheel would be a sub-assembly.

Put these two parts in their own assembly and then

- place this sub-assembly 2 or 4 times (whatever needed) into your new assembly.

Going pro -

you can Ctrl select the wheel and tire and right click go to Component>Demote to easily create your sub-assembly.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 4 of 4
deanwallace3
in reply to: deanwallace3

I already had the arrangement in a sub assembly and managed to mate the 2 zx planes with each other to gain the desired effect.

Thanks a lot for the speedy response guys , your help is much appreciated and I am now back on track.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report