Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Having a difficult time hiding components within an assembly

11 REPLIES 11
SOLVED
Message 1 of 12
chad38
772 Views, 11 Replies

Having a difficult time hiding components within an assembly

I have an assembly I'm working in, and it would be helpful to hide some of them because I'm still adding parts to it, and I cannot see. When I turn off visibility to some of the parts, I get a dialogue asking if I wish to remove associativity. This is because I'm driving the location of some holes off of other parts in the assembly. Is there no way to hide some of these components without removing the associativity? I just want to be able to see inside of here, not get rid of the components altogether.

HP Z420 Workstation
Intel Xeon CPU E5-1603 0 @ 2.80 GHz 2.80 GHz
12.0 GB RAM
Windows 7 Professional 64 Bit
3D Connexion Space Pilot
Solid Edge ST9 MP1

Inventor Professional 2015
Autocad 2015
SolidWorks 2015
11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12
Cadmanto
in reply to: chad38

Did you look in to creating levels of detail?  Or maybe creating an iassembly factory file.

check.PNGIf this solved your issue please mark this posting "Accept as Solution".

Or if you like something that was said and it was helpful, Kudoskudos.PNG are appreciated. Thanks!!!! Smiley Very Happy

New EE Logo.PNG

Inventor.PNG     vault.PNG

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden
(Colossians 3:23-25)

Message 3 of 12
blair

Or View-Reps as well as the mentioned LOD's. LOD's are primarily used to reduce the memory footprint. If you structure your View-Reps/LOD's they can also be used in your drawings as well.

Inventor 2020, In-Cad, Simulation Mechanical

Just insert the picture rather than attaching it as a file
Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 4 of 12
chad38
in reply to: Cadmanto

Yes, I have created an additional level of detail, however this doesn't seem to change whether or not hiding a component results in it wanting me to remove associativity. This is the first major assembly I've put together in inventor, so perhaps I'm not getting something about this. But I have a new level of detail active and it won't let me hide some things without removing associativity.

HP Z420 Workstation
12.0 GB RAM
3D Connexion Space Pilot
Solid Edge ST9 MP1

Autocad 2015
SolidWorks 2015
Message 5 of 12
chad38

Okay, now I tried suppressing the components instead of turning off visibility and I didn't get the same or any dialogue about associativity. Would suppressing these components be an acceptible way of achieving what I'm looking for? Is there any problems that may arise if I suppress them?

HP Z420 Workstation
12.0 GB RAM
3D Connexion Space Pilot
Solid Edge ST9 MP1

Autocad 2015
SolidWorks 2015
Message 6 of 12
blair

I just tried using the "Supress" in a View-Rep with items that are adaptive to other parts. Suppressing the other parts didn't post any message about Adaptive

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 7 of 12
blair

Suppress is all I ever use.

Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 8 of 12
chad38
in reply to: blair

So am I to understand that "suppressing" a component in an assembly doesn't affect the assembly in the same way that suppressing a feature does in the part?

HP Z420 Workstation
12.0 GB RAM
3D Connexion Space Pilot
Solid Edge ST9 MP1

Autocad 2015
SolidWorks 2015
Message 9 of 12
Cadmanto

It depends on your definition of acceptible.  I also suggested creating a factory file which can kind of sorta do the asme thing with out having to create LOD's.  You can suppress these components within the factory table and control everything there.  This would give you the same end result without creating an LOD.

check.PNGIf this solved your issue please mark this posting "Accept as Solution".

Or if you like something that was said and it was helpful, Kudoskudos.PNG are appreciated. Thanks!!!! Smiley Very Happy

New EE Logo.PNG

Inventor.PNG     vault.PNG

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden
(Colossians 3:23-25)

Message 10 of 12
chad38
in reply to: Cadmanto

Acceptible as in I only wish to be able to see inside of my assembly, but I don't want this to affect the assembly in any way other that me being able to hide the component, as in hide it so I can see past it.

HP Z420 Workstation
12.0 GB RAM
3D Connexion Space Pilot
Solid Edge ST9 MP1

Autocad 2015
SolidWorks 2015
Message 11 of 12
blair

No parts will fly around. Think of an engine assembly. You can work on the heads much easier if you suppress the block, crank and pistons. The heads will still remain in their correct position at the top of the block even though the engine block is suppress. Not like working in a IPT where you suppress a feature and it disappears and any features that rely on the suppress feature will fail as well.

Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 12 of 12
PaulMunford

I think that this warning only deals with associativity with the current view rep, not associativity between parts.

If you're in the default view, turning part visibilities on and off on the fly - ignore it.

If you want to be able to turn the visibility of the same parts on and off frequently, or you want to refer to the view in a drawing or presentation file - save it as a view rep.

Test it out and let us know what conclusions you draw.

Autodesk Industry Marketing Manager UK D&M
Opinions are my own and may not reflect those of my company.
Linkedin Twitter Instagram Facebook Pinterest

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report