Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Have You Read The Autodesk Cloud Terms Of Service Agreement? What the...?

12 REPLIES 12
Message 1 of 13
mrm01
1464 Views, 12 Replies

Have You Read The Autodesk Cloud Terms Of Service Agreement? What the...?

Ok...I'm all about server maintenance and improving the service but this TOS gives Autdoesk the right to show/display/or whatever they want to do with any and all files uploaded to the Cloud.  Am I missing something here or is Autodesk pulling the wool over our eyes.  Man Mad

Terms of Service: Autodesk Cloud and Other Services.

http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/index?siteID=123112&id=17752585

AutoDesk Cloud service agreement:

Concern about the provision allowing autodesk to:

“to extract, compile, aggregate, synthesize, use, and otherwise analyze all or any portion of Your Content and information, and to disclose Your Content and information and the results of any such analysis in aggregated form or any other form that does not specifically identify You or the source of Your Content”

2.2      License by You; Disclosure. Autodesk (or its sublicensees) may exercise the license set forth in this Section only for purposes of providing, maintaining, repairing, protecting, organizing or otherwise administering the Service and Service Site in the ordinary course of Autodesk’s (or its designated third parties’) provision of the Service and improving and modifying the Service, including rights to extract, compile, aggregate, synthesize, use, and otherwise analyze all or any portion of Your Content and information, and to disclose Your Content and information and the results of any such analysis in aggregated form or any other form that does not specifically identify You or the source of Your Content or information. Notwithstanding anything in these Terms to the contrary, You hereby grant Autodesk (or warrant that the licensor of such rights has expressly granted) a perpetual, irrevocable, non-exclusive, royalty-free, paid-up, worldwide, sublicensable (through multiple tiers) license to store, display, reproduce, modify, use and transmit Your Content, and further waive “moral” rights or other rights with respect to attribution of authorship or integrity of Your Content that You may have under any applicable law and under any legal theory.  In addition, You acknowledge and agree that Autodesk may disclose Your Content to provide the Service to You (including, without limitation, Your election to share Your Content under Sections 3.3 and 3.4), to comply with any legal obligations or governmental or regulatory body request (including subpoenas or court orders) or as part of a legal proceeding involving Autodesk Parties.

12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13
Greatwhitenorth
in reply to: mrm01

Hmm...Based on this, you definitely don't want to upload anything you don't want your competition to see. 

Message 3 of 13
ampster401

Store your IP or Proprietary knowledge on someone else's hardware and you've already lost total control over it.

I've questioned this before, what company would ever want to store their IP on Adesk's cloud?

Message 4 of 13
kstate92

All that's missing is the First-Born Son provision.  You might want to cc that to Lifehacker / Gawker; they might enjoy pointing out yet another egregious TOS.  Might also be Twitter-worthy for someone with a goodly-large following in the CAD sphere.

Sadly, I suspect all the CAD-cloud offerings are just as heinous.  Shakespeare probably had the right idea about lawyers.

KState92
Inventor Professional 2020
AutoCAD Mechanical 2022.0.1
Windows 10 Pro 64 bit - 1903
Core i7-8700 32 GB Ram
Quadro P2000
Message 5 of 13
Greatwhitenorth
in reply to: kstate92

The TOS for AutoCAD WS says the same thing, so don't put any "secrets" there either.

Message 6 of 13
jeanchile
in reply to: Greatwhitenorth

Wow, what a joke. Autodesk Cloud & WS... you are dead to me. Thanks for nothing AD. I thougth all those useful tools on my iPad and iPhone were so helpful but whatever, guess I'm back to toting my laptop everywhere.

This is yet another reason why cloud computing will NEVER be implemented at my office.

I should probably read these things instead of just clicking "I Agree".

Inventor Professional
Message 7 of 13
kstate92
in reply to: jeanchile

I suppose everyone could encrypt everything they put in the Autodesk cloud - until such tools are outlawed by the national security organs as instruments of terrorism.  What a wonderful world: having to hide your data from both the government and the corporations - or is separating them now redundant?

KState92
Core i7-8700 32 GB Ram
Quadro P2000
Message 8 of 13
Greatwhitenorth
in reply to: jeanchile

Makes me wonder about the CER replies I get, that request I send them the dataset in use when Inventor crashed.  Do they end up floating around the Internet too?

Message 9 of 13
mcgyvr

@bstewart wrote:

Makes me wonder about the CER replies I get, that request I send them the dataset in use when Inventor crashed.  Do they end up floating around the Internet too?

No..they shouldn't.. They will sign an NDA if you want them to.. But they just use that stuff for internal testing,etc..

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269
Message 10 of 13
Greatwhitenorth
in reply to: mcgyvr

We've had a couple of CER's come back this week, with the usual "form-letter-style" request, to send a copy of the dataset to an Autodesk developer in Shanghai, China.

This is not going to happen.

Message 11 of 13
kstate92

I'm sure you can make an agreement with Autodesk to send datasets only to their US facilities... which will then send the data to their works-for-peanuts 'associates' on the Mainland (who will then CC the Central Comittee anything that looks interesting, IP or militarily speaking).

What terrible snark I have written; a corporation would never do the wrong thing just for the Almighty Yuan.

KState92
Core i7-8700 32 GB Ram
Quadro P2000
Message 12 of 13
shannatellerman

Thanks for bringing up this question - it is an important one.  I am the Product Manager for Autodesk 360 (previously called Autodesk Cloud) and I'm hoping I can help to clarify the reason for the language in our terms of service and alleviate some of the concerns expressed in this thread.  The primary reason for this language is to ensure we can offer services to you.  These services need to use your data in various ways in order to function and without your permission our services would not be able to operate.  It is also important to note that the terms of service limit the context in which we can use this data.  

As a company we understand that our customer’s data is important and we respect intellectual property (IP).  We want to make sure you know that when you use Autodesk 360 or other cloud services from Autodesk, you own and control your own IP.  The words in each of our terms of service governs your use of the services but I wanted to share some background with you about why we need the rights granted by you in these agreements. The specific terms are available here: www.autodesk.com/termsofservice  

The use of Autodesk’s cloud services involves your digital content and information which means Autodesk needs you to give us certain rights in order to provide these services.  For example, the systems providing the services in the cloud need to do things like “display” “modify” “reproduce” and “transmit” your content and data as part of providing the services.  Without the ability for us to do these things with your information and content, these cloud services could not function.  Theagreements also limit our rights.  For example, our rights in our Autodesk Cloud terms are limited to the context of providing, maintaining, repairing, protecting, organizing or otherwise administering the services and improving and modifying the services.  The license is limited to this and its purpose is to make sure we can offer you these services.

Message 13 of 13
stevec781
in reply to: shannatellerman

More often than not in civil litigation the entity with the most money wins, regardless of what's right or wrong.  Even if the terms didnt have that wording I still wouldnt trust sensitive IP to the cloud, VAR's or support teams.

I dont think they would give data away, but they can figure out your work flow and then put that into sales and training materials and effectively teach your competitors unique workflows that may have taken you years to perfect.

I have had an ex VAR use me as a reference when trying to sell Inv to a competitor.  We are friends and I was standing next to him while the pitch was being made over the phone.  I have also had VARs from other companies offer to disclose workflows from their clients to me to try and get me to switch to them.  "We have company ABC as a client and know what your industry needs so we can get you up to speed very quickly"  Some of them will say and do anything for a sale so be very carefull with your sensitive IP.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report