Inventor General Discussion

Valued Contributor
mrm01
Message 1 of 13 (654 Views)

Have You Read The Autodesk Cloud Terms Of Service Agreement? What the...?

654 Views, 12 Replies
01-30-2012 05:17 AM

Ok...I'm all about server maintenance and improving the service but this TOS gives Autdoesk the right to show/display/or whatever they want to do with any and all files uploaded to the Cloud.  Am I missing something here or is Autodesk pulling the wool over our eyes.  :manmad:

Terms of Service: Autodesk Cloud and Other Services.

http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/index?siteID=123112&id=17752585

AutoDesk Cloud service agreement:

Concern about the provision allowing autodesk to:

“to extract, compile, aggregate, synthesize, use, and otherwise analyze all or any portion of Your Content and information, and to disclose Your Content and information and the results of any such analysis in aggregated form or any other form that does not specifically identify You or the source of Your Content”

2.2      License by You; Disclosure. Autodesk (or its sublicensees) may exercise the license set forth in this Section only for purposes of providing, maintaining, repairing, protecting, organizing or otherwise administering the Service and Service Site in the ordinary course of Autodesk’s (or its designated third parties’) provision of the Service and improving and modifying the Service, including rights to extract, compile, aggregate, synthesize, use, and otherwise analyze all or any portion of Your Content and information, and to disclose Your Content and information and the results of any such analysis in aggregated form or any other form that does not specifically identify You or the source of Your Content or information. Notwithstanding anything in these Terms to the contrary, You hereby grant Autodesk (or warrant that the licensor of such rights has expressly granted) a perpetual, irrevocable, non-exclusive, royalty-free, paid-up, worldwide, sublicensable (through multiple tiers) license to store, display, reproduce, modify, use and transmit Your Content, and further waive “moral” rights or other rights with respect to attribution of authorship or integrity of Your Content that You may have under any applicable law and under any legal theory.  In addition, You acknowledge and agree that Autodesk may disclose Your Content to provide the Service to You (including, without limitation, Your election to share Your Content under Sections 3.3 and 3.4), to comply with any legal obligations or governmental or regulatory body request (including subpoenas or court orders) or as part of a legal proceeding involving Autodesk Parties.

Distinguished Contributor
bstewart
Message 2 of 13 (630 Views)

Re: Have You Read The Autodesk Cloud Terms Of Service Agreement? What the...?

01-30-2012 06:51 AM in reply to: mrm01

Hmm...Based on this, you definitely don't want to upload anything you don't want your competition to see. 

*Pro
ampster
Message 3 of 13 (628 Views)

01-30-2012 06:53 AM in reply to: mrm01

Store your IP or Proprietary knowledge on someone else's hardware and you've already lost total control over it.

I've questioned this before, what company would ever want to store their IP on Adesk's cloud?

kstate92
Message 4 of 13 (610 Views)

01-30-2012 07:52 AM in reply to: mrm01

All that's missing is the First-Born Son provision.  You might want to cc that to Lifehacker / Gawker; they might enjoy pointing out yet another egregious TOS.  Might also be Twitter-worthy for someone with a goodly-large following in the CAD sphere.

Sadly, I suspect all the CAD-cloud offerings are just as heinous.  Shakespeare probably had the right idea about lawyers.

KState92
Inventor Professional 2014 64 SP2
Windows 7 Pro 64 bit - SP1
Xeon E5-1620
16 GB Ram
Quadro 4000
bstewart
Message 5 of 13 (601 Views)

01-30-2012 08:08 AM in reply to: kstate92

The TOS for AutoCAD WS says the same thing, so don't put any "secrets" there either.

Valued Mentor
jeanchile
Message 6 of 13 (591 Views)

01-30-2012 08:28 AM in reply to: bstewart

Wow, what a joke. Autodesk Cloud & WS... you are dead to me. Thanks for nothing AD. I thougth all those useful tools on my iPad and iPhone were so helpful but whatever, guess I'm back to toting my laptop everywhere.

This is yet another reason why cloud computing will NEVER be implemented at my office.

I should probably read these things instead of just clicking "I Agree".

Inventor Professional 2013 (SP-2.3), Product Design Suite Ultimate
Desktop: Intel Core i7 3.4GHz, 16.0 GB RAM, Windows 7 Ultimate SP-1, 64-bit OS, (2) GeForce GTX 580 (331.81), Space Pilot Pro (3.16.1)
Laptop: Intel Core i7 3.9GHz, 16.0 GB RAM, Windows 7 Pro SP-1, 64-bit OS, GeForce GTX 780 (331.81), SpaceNavigator (3.17.7)
kstate92
Message 7 of 13 (585 Views)

01-30-2012 08:34 AM in reply to: jeanchile

I suppose everyone could encrypt everything they put in the Autodesk cloud - until such tools are outlawed by the national security organs as instruments of terrorism.  What a wonderful world: having to hide your data from both the government and the corporations - or is separating them now redundant?

KState92
Inventor Professional 2014 64 SP2
Windows 7 Pro 64 bit - SP1
Xeon E5-1620
16 GB Ram
Quadro 4000
bstewart
Message 8 of 13 (584 Views)

01-30-2012 08:35 AM in reply to: jeanchile

Makes me wonder about the CER replies I get, that request I send them the dataset in use when Inventor crashed.  Do they end up floating around the Internet too?

*Expert Elite*
mcgyvr
Message 9 of 13 (571 Views)

01-30-2012 09:45 AM in reply to: bstewart

bstewart wrote:

Makes me wonder about the CER replies I get, that request I send them the dataset in use when Inventor crashed.  Do they end up floating around the Internet too?

No..they shouldn't.. They will sign an NDA if you want them to.. But they just use that stuff for internal testing,etc..

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.

Down with IDW/DWG files..... Long live 3D PMI... Hurry it up already..
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2015 Product Design Suite Ultimate
Windows 7 64 bit
Core i7 4820k processor (OC'd to 4.4Ghz), Nvidia GTX 770, 16G RAM

bstewart
Message 10 of 13 (436 Views)

04-05-2012 09:14 AM in reply to: mcgyvr

We've had a couple of CER's come back this week, with the usual "form-letter-style" request, to send a copy of the dataset to an Autodesk developer in Shanghai, China.

This is not going to happen.

You are not logged in.

Log into access your profile, ask and answer questions, share ideas and more. Haven't signed up yet? Register

Announcements
Are you familiar with the Autodesk Expert Elites? The Expert Elite program is made up of customers that help other customers by sharing knowledge and exemplifying an engaging style of collaboration. To learn more, please visit our Expert Elite website.

Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions to get help installing your software.

Ask the Community

Inventor Exchange Apps

Created by the community for the community, Autodesk Exchange Apps for Autodesk Inventor helps you achieve greater speed, accuracy, and automation from concept to manufacturing.

Connect with Inventor

Twitter

Facebook

Blogs

Pinterest

Youtube