Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hatch in Part Sketch

13 REPLIES 13
Message 1 of 14
allenliuyy
3882 Views, 13 Replies

Hatch in Part Sketch

Is it possible to fill an area with hatch patterns in a feature sketch (ipt sketch), not in idw sketch?

I want to show a safety screen (wire mesh) in a 3D model, in order to reduce the file size, I do not want to do solid wire mesh in the model, but the sketch only. I was drawing one by one line and make a hatch cross lines in the sketch, it took me lots of time to draw these lines.

Thank you in advance for your help.

13 REPLIES 13
Message 2 of 14
blair
in reply to: allenliuyy

If I am reading this correct you have a single IPT and want a portion of one surface to represent a mesh.

Do a sketch on the surface for the desired shape of the mesh. Use the Split Surface command to split the surface for this area and then just apply the Mesh from the Appearance tab to this area. When you look at in the model it will have a mesh. When you bring it into a drawing it will only show the area for the mesh unless you use the colored model view.

Inventor 2020, In-Cad, Simulation Mechanical

Just insert the picture rather than attaching it as a file
Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 3 of 14
allenliuyy
in reply to: blair

Thank you, Blair.

But that's not what I want.

I need pure sketch lines with hatched pattern (here only crossed line as hatch), like we do in Autocad to fill an area with hatch command. I tried it in idw file, it's ok to fill hatch lines, but I have not found the similar command in part sketches.

Message 4 of 14
blair

This will show a mesh, but your file size won't increase as if you modeled the mesh itself. Just like the picture.

Capture.JPG

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 5 of 14
VdVeek
in reply to: blair

Blair, can you post this part in Inventor 2012 so i can recreate your example?

Thanks,

Rob.

Autodesk Inventor 2015 Certified Professional & Autodesk Inventor 2012 Certified Professional.
Message 6 of 14
SBix26

Create a .jpg image of hatched lines and apply it as an appearance to the area as Blair described.  Part sketches do not have this ability-- their purpose is to define features, not to make nice pictures.

Sam B
Inventor 2012 Certified Professional

Please click "Accept as Solution" if this response answers your question.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor Professional 2013 SP1.1 Update 1
Windows XP Pro 32-bit, SP3
HP EliteBook 8730w; 4 GB RAM; Core™ 2 Duo T9400 2.53 GHz; Quadro FX2700M
SpaceExplorer/SpaceNavigator NB, driver 3.7.18
still waiting for a foreshortened radius dimensioning tool in Drawing Manager

Message 7 of 14
blair
in reply to: SBix26

I don't have 2012 on my system only 2013.

1.) Create sketch on surface requiring pattern and sketch the profile of the area you wish to apply the pattern to.

2.) Use the Split Surface command and select the sketch profile, then the surface.

3.) Select the surface you wish to apply the "pattern" to, then use the Appearance tab and select the required Appearance.

Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 8 of 14
allenliuyy

The attached picture is what I wanted. I did it by Inventor part sketch for safety wire mesh, then the part was uploaded to NavisWorks for a plant layout. 

I hope the hatch patten can be used in Inventor part sketch in the future release, even though it will not be used very often in the design.

Thank you, Autodesk Inventor Developers.

Message 9 of 14
allenliuyy

The Use of Inventor Part Sketch.png

Message 10 of 14
SBix26

The question still remains: why not use Appearances as Blair described, which are intended for this purpose?  Part sketches are not intended for rendering or viewing purposes.

Sam B
Inventor 2012 Certified Professional

Please click "Accept as Solution" if this response answers your question.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor Professional 2013 SP1.1 Update 1
Windows XP Pro 32-bit, SP3
HP EliteBook 8730w; 4 GB RAM; Core™ 2 Duo T9400 2.53 GHz; Quadro FX2700M
SpaceExplorer/SpaceNavigator NB, driver 3.7.18
still waiting for a foreshortened radius dimensioning tool in Drawing Manager

Message 11 of 14
allenliuyy

Firstly, the above picture is from Autodesk Navisworks, not Inventor. The part was created in Inventor and then was  uppended to Navisworks for plant layout purpose.

The images applied to part surface in Inventor will be gone after the part is uppend to Navisworks. I have not found the better way to make such simple safty fence in Inventor and then display it in Navisworks. Still need help.

Message 12 of 14
matthew.poylio

First off, I know this is an OLD thread.  However, since it's the first thing that came up when searched an answer to the same question, I'll respond with my constructive input:

I'm using Inventor 2020, and it's still not possible to hatch out areas in a .ipt sketch.  I found that the easiest (haha) way to get to the desired result, was to generate the hatch in AutoCAD, copy it to the clipboard, paste in Inventor, generate a block with the input and replicate to all the areas that are desired to hatched, explode the blocks and trim to the hatch boundaries. 

This is not as easy as it should be, but it works and is faster than drawing individual lines in an Inventor .ipt environment.

Message 13 of 14

Hi Matthew,

Many thanks for your feedback! The ability to create hatch within part sketch is new to me. I have never heard of this request before honestly. I guess you want to have a way to show texture in a part. It is typically done by textured appearance or a decal feature (with image). Is this what you are looking for?

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 14 of 14
ian.solomon
in reply to: johnsonshiue

I also need this feature, as I want to hatch an area in a sheet metal part so the laser cutter will etch it 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report