Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Harness manufacturing with Inventor

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
twinz3950
498 Views, 3 Replies

Harness manufacturing with Inventor

I have posted several question on this forum regarding inventor cable and harness to create a complete wire harness, and the responses have been very helpful.  I have now created my harness which is complex and involves a large number of wires (approx. 150 individual wires) and connectors.  I know that the next step is to create a nail board drawing to document the harness.  This is the first time the company I work for has attempted creating a wire harness and I am not an electrical engineer, so I am not familiar with what the standard practice is for documenting wire harnesses.  What information must I put on the nail board drawing? Do I needed to break each wire down with its own individual Print?  If anyone could please help me or give any suggestion as how you document  wire harnesses would be very helpful.  This harness is used for agricultural machinery, and we will be manufacturing this harness in house.

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
mcgyvr
in reply to: twinz3950

Has your company ever had nailboard drawings before?

Is there an EE there or someone how IS familiar with your companies requirements....if so ask them as that answer will be far better than any answer you get here.

The answer really is "it depends.. the drawing (be it nailboard type or something else) should have enough information for someone to easily understand and be able to manufacturer that harness at your company"

Frankly this is an internal discussion you need to have at your company. 

And "typically" a "nailboard" drawing is printed out 1:1 scale (maybe on some large paper or tiled across many pages) and placed onto the board where the harness will be make. 

Just a tip.. Just because Inventor has the functionality doesn't mean you must use it.. I've been using the harness module for years now and NEVER created a single "nailboard" drawing using Inventors built in functionality. Its just not something the assemblers here understand or do.

So again.. Your company must decide what information/drawings,etc.. they need to build parts. Don't waste your time if they won't use it. 

Google will also have TONS of other information as well as any standards that your companies products must apply to. 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269
Message 3 of 4
twinz3950
in reply to: mcgyvr

Unfortunately we do not have an Electrical Engineer at this time, and all of this has feel into my lap because I have the most Inventor experience at my company.  We have very simple nail board drawings but no standard established to go by for a project of this scope, so I am in a way trying to develop a standard, and was hoping to get some insight as what is typical for manufacturing harnesses. I was hoping to save myself some trail and error if I had an insight to what works for other companies. If you do not use the nail board how do you document your design?

Message 4 of 4
mcgyvr
in reply to: twinz3950

@twinz3950 wrote:

If you do not use the nail board how do you document your design?

Our "routing" or work instructions simply call out blue wire from 4 pin connector to 3 pin connector position # Y,etc..

Just simple written instructions.

I don't even do a drawing at all. 

BUT our harnesses are very simple and typically no more than a few wires/a few terminals.

Not sure what country you are in but in the US we would follow something like IPC standards. 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report