Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Half-erased or different files?

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
imaginationman1
312 Views, 4 Replies

Half-erased or different files?

Okay, now, my engineering class has computers with autodesk inventor professional 2012 educational institution edition intalled, and I downloaded the student version. Now, when I brought the file home to work on, it came up with a weird window stating that "this file was not created in a student edition", or something very similar. Afterward, I opened the file, and most of what I had been working on was gone, same thing happened when I opened the file at school, half of what I worked on at home was gone. Is there like 2 slightly different files posing as one?, or is there some compatibility problem?

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
JDMather
in reply to: imaginationman1

There is no reason why you should see this behavior. (missing geometry)

Attach file here that exhibits this behavior.

It is normal to get warning about student license, that is not an issue.

Are you using Projects (*.ipj) ?

I'm betting you didn't save where you think you did because you aren't using Projects.

I have never heard of the problem you describe.

Another guess could be you've rolled up the EOP, but I think you would know if you had done that.

Again, attach an example file here.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Message 3 of 5
imaginationman1
in reply to: JDMather

Never mind, I discovered the problem, it turns out that inventor for some reason had reverted to an earlier version of the file in "old versions". After I restored the latest file, everything has been working. Thank you for approaching my problem ready to help.

Sent from my iPhone
Message 4 of 5
JDMather
in reply to: imaginationman1

@imaginationman1 wrote:
....for some reason had reverted to an earlier version of the file in "old versions". .

You need to figure out the reason - I have never seen this behavior.  Are you using Projects (*.ipj)?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Message 5 of 5

Yes, I have groups of files in projects. I assume there was just a conflict between the file on my flash drive and the one on the school computer, that's all. Now I sync the files before & after working on them and I haven't had a problem since.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums