Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HSS Assembly - What Weld Symbol Should be Used?

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
SeanFarr
5848 Views, 2 Replies

HSS Assembly - What Weld Symbol Should be Used?

Good Day All,

I have attached a screen shot of a HSS frame structure. The tube is 4"x3"x1/4". There are many joints, but this particular joint is giving me a hard time to detail. I have searched around and have found nothing conclusive on how to annotate this joint on a drawing.

There are 2 types of welds to ensure that a weld bead is placed around the entire tube, a fillet weld where the faces are perpendicular to each other and then a flare-bevel weld (red arrows on image) where the round of the tube meets back up with the end face of the opposite tube.

Do I need to apply 2 separate weld symbols for this type of joint or is it understood in most fabrication shops if a simple fillet weld symbol is placed.

Thanks!!

Sean Farr 

Sean Farr
Product Designer at TESInc.ca

Inventor Professional 2014-Update 2 - AutoCAD Electrical 2014
Win7-x64 | ASUS P8Z77-V | i7 3770 -3.4 GHz | 32GB RAM |
240GB SSD | nVidia GTX 670 4GB - 320.49
2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
blair
in reply to: SeanFarr

If I placed two separate weld symbols on a joint like that, I would probably get a call from my shop floor to explain myself. They would be looking for a fillet weld symbol with leg length and the all around symbol. If it was a shop dealing with aviation equipment two symbols and note would be required.

Inventor 2020, In-Cad, Simulation Mechanical

Just insert the picture rather than attaching it as a file
Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 3 of 3
SeanFarr
in reply to: blair

So your shop can interpret what needs to be done in those types of cases. But to be safe, Should I annotate that weld with 2 different weld symbols? I just wasnt sure what the second weld symbol should be where the end face of the tube meets up with the round of the opposite tube. It would be the flare-bevel-groove weld??

If I were to use 2 symbols to ensure proper weld beads applied, would this ensure that the weld bead go all the way around the joint. There would be no gaps in the corners of the joints?

Thanks for all help!!!

Sean Farr

Sean Farr
Product Designer at TESInc.ca

Inventor Professional 2014-Update 2 - AutoCAD Electrical 2014
Win7-x64 | ASUS P8Z77-V | i7 3770 -3.4 GHz | 32GB RAM |
240GB SSD | nVidia GTX 670 4GB - 320.49

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report