Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HOW TO "UNLOCK DESIGN VIEW REPRESENTATION"(??) IN A PIECE PART

10 REPLIES 10
SOLVED
Message 1 of 11
Panygeric
10690 Views, 10 Replies

HOW TO "UNLOCK DESIGN VIEW REPRESENTATION"(??) IN A PIECE PART

I am currently constructing an INVENTOR 2012 .ipt file and I suddenly cannot save due to a message 'THE CURRENT DESIGN VIEW REPRESENTATION IS LOCKED - CREATE A NEW DESIGN VIEW REP. OR "UNLOCK" THE CURRENT ONE:. I haven't intentionally "locked" anything.

My browser is currently showing a "Solid Bodies (1)" category under the piece part name THERE ARE NO "LOCK" ICONS APPEARING ANYWHERE IN THE BROWSER AND RIGHT CLICKING REVEALS NO "UNLOCK" (or even "LOCK") CAPABILITIES.

How do I get out of this and save my drawing? I thought "Design view representations" were in ASSEMBLIES only. Everything was running great until this!!!

Spoiler

10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
Panygeric
in reply to: Panygeric

There is NO "View" node appearing in the browser - there is ONLY  "View: Master" which is in a permanently locked state. THERE ARE NO "LOCK" ICONS APPEARING ANYWHERE IN THE BROWSER.

Message 3 of 11
JavaLodge

Do you think you could show a screenshot of what you're experiencing?  It's very possible to have more than one view representation in an .ipt file.  It can be used, for example, to show a half section view, among other things.  On my screen there is a plus sign next to the View: Master.  When you press it the rest of the views should show up and can right click on whichever one is locked and click Unlock.

Capture.PNG

in reply to: JavaLodge

Thanks - I'm checking into that - it appears I just have to find one of the section views......
Message 5 of 11
Panygeric

I'm looking in "other" places - nothing like that shows up in my "View: Master"
Message 6 of 11
Panygeric

Is it possible a view could appear *somewhere else" in the browser other than a view node??
Message 7 of 11
JavaLodge

Could you post a screenshot of what you're seeing?  It's hard to know what you're describing when I can't see it.  This just s shot in the dark, but are you editing a part inside an assembly?  When you do that, even if the part you're editing has a view representation it will not show up in the browser, as shown:

Capture.PNG

No I'm not in  an assembly - it's an individual piece part I'm trying to work up a screen shot but my first effort was too big for this forum capacity...

Message 9 of 11
Panygeric

Smiley HappyALAS! - THE PROBLEM SEEMS TO HAVE MYSTERIOUSLY RESOLVED - AT LEAST FOR THE TIME BEING.......

Message 10 of 11

Hi Panygeric,

If I recall correctly, if you've turned off the visibility of a feature or changed a color, etc. Inventor sees that as a change to the current View Representation setting. If you only have the Master view rep, you can not make changes to it because it is considered locked, therefore you get the warning you're getting. So, you'll want to create a new View Representation, and name it something like "Default" and then make the color or visibility changes with that view rep active.

I hope this helps.
Best of luck to you in all of your Inventor pursuits,
Curtis
http://inventortrenches.blogspot.com

Message 11 of 11
WWE1
in reply to: Curtis_Waguespack

This worked for me thanks Curtis

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report