Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HELP on how to move file from newer version to older version

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
dziadosz0425
623 Views, 5 Replies

HELP on how to move file from newer version to older version

Guys I need help on how to move a file in inventor from the 2014 version to last years version which was 2013 because my teacher's computer isn't reading my file.

Tags (1)
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
conklinjm
in reply to: dziadosz0425

Depends on what your objective is in sharing the file ...

... if your teacher needs to see all the part features, then you are out of luck.  All major 3D modeling systems only have forward compatability; so you cannot save your file to a previous version.

... if your teacher only needs to see the finished part, then you can save it to one of the neutral 3D formats (like .sat) which can be read by previous versions.  When using this type of file transfer, all of the Inventor specific information is essentially lost -- the file contains just enough information to recreate the final geometric shape but none of the history on how it was created or what special features (like tapped holes) were used.

HTH

Message 3 of 6
JDMather

iam or ipt File>Save Copy as type *.stp

Since your teacher didn't tell you this - you will probably have to show the teacher how to open the file.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 4 of 6
blair

It would make more sense for your teacher to upgrade their system to IV0214. They can then look at the current version files as well as open and inspect older versions.

Inventor 2020, In-Cad, Simulation Mechanical

Just insert the picture rather than attaching it as a file
Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 5 of 6
dziadosz0425
in reply to: conklinjm

Ok thanks I was just trying to give her the dimensions and all so I can have it printed on the 3D printer

Message 6 of 6
JDMather

You can save it as stl file for the 3D printer, be sure to click on Options and double check that the slt export file units are the same as your modeling units.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report