Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HELP Save Copy As for iPart and iAssemblies

10 REPLIES 10
SOLVED
Message 1 of 11
IlliniDawn
884 Views, 10 Replies

HELP Save Copy As for iPart and iAssemblies

Not sure how clear this is, but here is my question anyway.  It has to do with iparts and iassemblies and “save copy as”.  My concern is that during the concept stage an engineer may be working on a design and will create an ipart, as many of our designs have multiple versions.  They now want to keep a copy of that ipart, and try something new so they “save copy as” and create a new file.  The new ipart members all have the name reference to the first design.  Does renaming those members redirect the path to the new ipart, or should we avoid designing like this all together?

Thanks in advance,

Dawn       

10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
Cadmanto
in reply to: IlliniDawn

Dawn,

The short answer is "No".  When you do a save as copy or even a copy design in the vault, the new names do not funnel down into the newly created factory file.  What you need to do is open up the newly created factory file and edit the table to change the names to the new ones.  Then once the talbe with the new names are done, these new file name will show up in the browser under the table selection.  Then just regenerate these new files.

I hope this makes sense to you.  Good luck.  Smiley Happy

check.PNGIf this solved your issue please mark this posting "Accept as Solution".

Or if you like something that was said and it was helpful, Kudoskudos.PNG are appreciated. Thanks!!!! Smiley Very Happy

Inventor.PNG     vault.PNG

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden
(Colossians 3:23-25)

Message 3 of 11
IlliniDawn
in reply to: Cadmanto

Just so I understand, I should do the following steps in order to use "save as" for an ipart or iassembly:

1. Open ipart file "A"

2. Save file "A" as "B"

In file "B"

3. Edit the ipart table via spreadsheet 

4. Rename member names from "A" to "B", save and close spreadsheet

5. Right Click on each individual ipart listed in my browser and select "Generate Files"

6. Save "B" and now I have a complete copy of "A" that I can experiment with.

Is that right?

-Dawn

Message 4 of 11
Cadmanto

Dawn,

You basically have it listed correctly.  What I would add is when it comes to changing the names in the table they

will be more like B1, B2 and B3.  Sub parts to "B".

Then when it comes to generating the files you can hold down the ctrl button and select them all and generate them all at the same time.

check.PNGIf this solved your issue please mark this posting "Accept as Solution".

Or if you like something that was said and it was helpful, Kudoskudos.PNG are appreciated. Thanks!!!! Smiley Very Happy

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden

Message 5 of 11
IlliniDawn

Scott,

Thank you so much. This will save me a lot of time, and more importantly it will be a godsend for my sanity!!!
Message 6 of 11
Cadmanto

Dawn,

You are most welcome.  Glad I could help out!!!  Smiley Happy

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden

Message 7 of 11
swickert101

Hello Scott,

Thank you for that solution.  You may be able to help with my issue.  I am receiving an error message 'failed to save factory member' when trying to generate or update the member of a factory part created via save as.  All appears to look correct in factory part table etc.

What I did: There were two existing iparts.  I wanted to update/revise one of those parts to have the same feature/geometry profile as the other, so I did a 'save as' from the item with right geometry and overwrote the other to revise.  Thank you!

Steve

Message 8 of 11
johnsonshiue
in reply to: swickert101

Hi! I am sorry I am a bit confused with the request. iPart and iAssembly members should be generated from the factory. There is no Save member files Copy As workflow. If you try to do that, it will not work. You either need to author new member definitions on the iPart/iAssembly factory table. Or, you need to create a new factory and generate such members.

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 9 of 11
Cadmanto

Hi Steve,

If you did a save as copy with one of the members, I am not surprised that it error-ed on you.   They are linked to the factory file.  What you should do is if you need another similar but different as one of the members, simply add another member to the factory and change it in the factory table.

Hope this helps you.

Windows 10 x64 -16GB Ram
Intel i7-6700 @ 3.41ghz
nVidia GTS 250 - 1 GB
Inventor Pro 2018

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden

Message 10 of 11
swickert101

Thank you both Johnsonshiue & Cadmanto  for the quick responses!  We got it straightened out.  Have a great day!

ps Cadmanto I like the Bible verse in your salutation!

God Bless,

Steve

Message 11 of 11
Cadmanto

Thank you.

If this is resolved, please mark the solution as accepted for those in the future who have similar issues.

Windows 10 x64 -16GB Ram
Intel i7-6700 @ 3.41ghz
nVidia GTS 250 - 1 GB
Inventor Pro 2018

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report