Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HELP NEEDED FOR DRAWING

7 REPLIES 7
SOLVED
Message 1 of 8
BartBr
494 Views, 7 Replies

HELP NEEDED FOR DRAWING

Hello!

This is my first post here on this forum and I wonder if someone could help me with my problem. I don't know if I'm on the right place. If not please tell me, and tell me were I can go with my questions.

I'v been trying this morning for more than 3 hours to draw the piece ( which is includes as picture ). Unfortunately I didn't succeed.

Does anyone know which is the best way to draw this?

So you need to draw a radius ( R292 ) and need to "extrude" it for a distance of 78.1 mm. After that we need to bend the flaps on it. I've tried the following methods in sheet metal.

- I've drawn the whole contour and after that I used the contour flange. Failed to make te distance 12.7 to 17.3

- Tried to sweep it via two lines under the correct angle. No luck. Sweeping only works under one line I suppose.

- Tried to make first a face of the top view ( trapezium ) and after that I made flanges ( but failed again to make the flanges go from 12.7 to 17.3 ) Also I did not find a feature to "roll" the flat face to a r292.

- Tried to make a tapered extrude but this makes the piece also thicker which is not allowed. It should go from 12.7 until 17.3 without thickening the material.

If someone could tell me how to draw this piece it would make me very happy!

HELP WANTED.JPG

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
mcgyvr
in reply to: BartBr

Off the top of my head I'd just do it as a regular part and create 2 sketches (one on the xy plane and then create a new plane 78.1 offset from the xy) and use loft to connect them. 

Or stay like you have it and just create the first flange at 17.3 then create an angled cut to take the other side to your 12.7 then add the next flange.

or a few other ways.. 

Just a tip.. Formed sheet metal never has 0 radius bends (square corners).. There is always a radius from the forming tools.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269
Message 3 of 8
BartBr
in reply to: mcgyvr

Hi there!

Thanks for the quick reply.

First of all, thanks for the tip, but I do know that you always have a radius when you bend something. That isn't the problem. The bended flaps may even be made in one bend downwards.

I've also tried the loft feature with two sketches. Unfortunately this results in a strange surface frome the one sketch to the other. ( see included picture )

The angled cut is an idea, but i was hoping that i could make it in one move ( like the lofted flange or so ) so i maybe could make a flat pattern to know which plate I need to laser.

lofted2.JPG

Message 4 of 8
Martin_Goodland

Hi I would advise you change your user name. At the moment you appear to be advertising your product serial number to the world.....

Regards

Martin

Inventor 2023
Message 5 of 8
JDMather

Can you attach this attempt here?

You have not indicated the material thickness.

You have not indicated what version of Inventor you are using.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 6 of 8
johnsonshiue

Hi! I believe this particular part can be easily created by using Lofted Flange -> Die Formed. Could you try it on your machine and see if it works?

Thanks!

LoftedFlange_DieFormed.png

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 7 of 8
IgorMir

Hi Willem,

Have a look at the attached file (IV2010). Just like Johnson suggested - contour flange is a way to go.

Regards,

Igor.

@BartBr wrote:

Hello!

This is my first post here on this forum and I wonder if someone could help me with my problem. I don't know if I'm on the right place. If not please tell me, and tell me were I can go with my questions.

I'v been trying this morning for more than 3 hours to draw the piece ( which is includes as picture ). Unfortunately I didn't succeed.

Does anyone know which is the best way to draw this?

So you need to draw a radius ( R292 ) and need to "extrude" it for a distance of 78.1 mm. After that we need to bend the flaps on it. I've tried the following methods in sheet metal.

- I've drawn the whole contour and after that I used the contour flange. Failed to make te distance 12.7 to 17.3

- Tried to sweep it via two lines under the correct angle. No luck. Sweeping only works under one line I suppose.

- Tried to make first a face of the top view ( trapezium ) and after that I made flanges ( but failed again to make the flanges go from 12.7 to 17.3 ) Also I did not find a feature to "roll" the flat face to a r292.

- Tried to make a tapered extrude but this makes the piece also thicker which is not allowed. It should go from 12.7 until 17.3 without thickening the material.

If someone could tell me how to draw this piece it would make me very happy!

HELP WANTED.JPG

Web: www.meqc.com.au
Message 8 of 8
BartBr
in reply to: IgorMir

Goodmorning!

Supers! Works like a charm! While I was testing the lofted flange I've made the mistake of making the radius of flange 2 also bigger. But the radius must stay unchanged. The change of radius was the cause of the "weird surface" of course!

Thanks for the tips! Great forum!

Greetings

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report