Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HELP! Assembly won't open - Unresolved link

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
killbox
1740 Views, 5 Replies

HELP! Assembly won't open - Unresolved link

I'm trying to open my CNC project and I have an assembly in it that will not open.  The file is in the correct location.  I tried to open the assembly directly and it will not open.  So I figure the file must be bad.  I tried the old versions folder and tried to restore it from there.  I had the option to open and not save and it opened.  Then I went back and tried the open and restore.  Again no luck.  

I had a part reference problem during my last session.  There was a step file assembly that I had imported into the assembly.  It was a rail with two bearings.  I copied the bearings and added them to the larger assembly.  Then went back to the original file and deleted the bearings.  I noticed that when I went to move the copied bearings I got and error.  I could not move them because there was no reference part.  I saved the part and figured I would go back and fix it later.  Now the part will not open.  I figure that's what caused the issue.

I have a backup copy of the entire project saved before the above errors.  It's on a different drive.  If I try to open it up I get the same unresolved link error.  On top of that, if I open the assembly it will open and the bearings are missing!  How is that possible?  The complete part with all files folders and assemblies are on a separate drive saved months ago and the error is the same.  I'm confused . . . any ideas??

- Allen

Tags (1)
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
JDMather
in reply to: killbox

Are you using Projects (*.ipj) or are you using Vault?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Message 3 of 6
blair

Possibly your Projects file, is pointing to different directories and file paths would be the first item that I would look at.

Inventor 2020, In-Cad, Simulation Mechanical

Just insert the picture rather than attaching it as a file
Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 4 of 6
killbox
in reply to: JDMather

I'm using Projects
Message 5 of 6
killbox
in reply to: blair

How do I go about checking file paths to be sure it's pointing to the correct location on all files?
Message 6 of 6
blair

Either from the Start Menu: Start>Autodesk>Inventor>Tools>Project Editor or from within Inventor (need to have all files closed). You will need to make sure the Project you are using has it;s work directory point to the directory you are using for all your main files and any Library & CC directories are correct.

Inventor 2020, In-Cad, Simulation Mechanical

Just insert the picture rather than attaching it as a file
Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report