Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Glass Panel Simulation Possible?

2 REPLIES 2
SOLVED
Message 1 of 3
jeanchile
733 Views, 2 Replies

Glass Panel Simulation Possible?

Hello all,

Let me preface this by saying that we work mostly in the metal fabrication industry dealing with the elastic deformation of plastic materials that are isotropic so this question is a bit above my pay grade here...

Is it possible to simulate the stresses in a piece of glass in a simple beam scenario in Inventor (1/2" x 48" x 130" Tempered Glass)? I have a client that wants me to design a conference room table for him but I am highly uneducated about glass.

Is it possible to simulate? If not, is it possible to "fake" it and get semi-reliable results? We're at the conceptual stage here and we're curious which of our designs have a greater possibility of surviving the design validation process (which will include a glass expert at some point).

Thanks for the help!

Inventor Professional
2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
cwhetten
in reply to: jeanchile

I don't see why not.  You would need to get the correct material properties for the specific type of tempered glass (density, modulus of elasticity a.k.a. Young's Modulus, and ultimate tensile strength).  And since glass is brittle, you would also want to set the simulation to run based on ultimate tensile strength, instead of yield strength.

You would want to have a hefty safety factor, since glass will break before it reaches UTS if it has any impurities or other stress-concentration areas where cracks can form (surface or edge chips, micro-fractures, etc).

You could at least get some ball-park notions that will get you through until a glass expert can chime in.

-cwhetten

Please click "Accept as Solution" if this response answers your question.

Message 3 of 3
jeanchile
in reply to: cwhetten

@cwhetten wrote:

...since glass will break before it reaches UTS if it has any impurities or other stress-concentration areas where cracks can form (surface or edge chips, micro-fractures, etc).

Here we go! This is exactly the type of thing I wouldn't have considered preliminarily. This is great information and I thank you for it.

Inventor Professional

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report