Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Getting an Equation from a curve

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
renatodomingues09
253 Views, 5 Replies

Getting an Equation from a curve

Hi there guys,

I don't know if I'm looking in the right software for the solution I need but since inventor can create complex curves from a given formula, I imagie it could help me out. So What I'm looking for is to draw a curve, and get the equation for it. Is it possible?

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6

Not. it's not. i am sorry

Admaiora
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

Message 3 of 6

Any alternative? 

Message 4 of 6

Hi! The function you are looking for is like Curve Fit. You can do some search on the web to find some tools. Usually, you might need software specifically for mathematics.

Thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 5 of 6

Excel can do this, and I've used it before.  You'd have to look up some tutorials for it because I can't remember how 😄  It will generate a best fit line based on a set of data and also give you a factor that determines how well the best fit line describes the data.

-Edit-  I just re-read your post and excel can't do exactly what you need, at least not that I know of.  If you could somehow generate data points based off the curve you draw, then excel would be able to do make an equation for that.  It can't go straight from a curve to an equation though.

If the equation is one of the many options available in Excel, try creating an X-Y scatter plot and fit a trend line.  Under trend line options, one is to display the equation on the chart.

IV 2013 Product Design Suite 64 Bit
Win 7 64 bit

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report