Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Get part information from idw file

2 REPLIES 2
SOLVED
Message 1 of 3
adhurjaty
372 Views, 2 Replies

Get part information from idw file

I am trying to automate a process for documentation using python or possibly some other programming language. I need to get the item name, part number, designer and creation date from the file without opening it in Inventor. Is there a way to do this?

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
Cadmanto
in reply to: adhurjaty

Welcome to the forum.

If you RC on the file in windows explorer and select "Properties, then the "iproperties" tab and select "iproperties" yet again, it will give you the info I believe you are looking for.

check.PNGIf this solved your issue please mark this posting "Accept as Solution".

Or if you like something that was said and it was helpful, Kudoskudos.PNG are appreciated. Thanks!!!! Smiley Very Happy

New EE Logo.PNG

Inventor.PNG     vault.PNG

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden
(Colossians 3:23-25)

Message 3 of 3
mrattray
in reply to: adhurjaty

Welcome to the forums!

Cadmanto's suggestion will work if you just need it as a human, if you need it in your program you can use the "Inventor Apprentice" application to open, read, and (IIRC) modify Inventor files without the actual Inventor application. There should be information available in the Inventor programming help.

Also, as an FYI, programming type questions will get the most helpful responses when posted in the Inventor Customization forum.

I hope this helps!

Mike (not Matt) Rattray

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report