Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Generative Art in AutoCAD

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
jwoo10
1167 Views, 6 Replies

Generative Art in AutoCAD

Is there a way to use or apply generative art in Inventor or any other CAD software programs?I am currently working on a project for rock climbing holds. I need to be able to randomly generate different rock climbing holds with different gritty textures on the holds. Is there any easy way to do this? Please and thank you!-Jenny
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
mcgyvr
in reply to: jwoo10

I think what you are asking is how to apply a "real" texture to a 3d part in Inventor?

Is that correct?

If so what for?

"typically" one would just call out an industry standard finish (PM or SPI,etc...) to be applied to the injection mold in the drawing?

Or do you just need to apply a texture for rendering/visualization purposes?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269
Message 3 of 7
cbenner
in reply to: mcgyvr

Message 4 of 7
petestrycharske

Jenny,

If you are working in Inventor, you could try to link to a spreadsheet that has some parameters mapped to it.  Within Excel there is a random number generator and you could set up a table and round each random number to correspond to a different hold and texture.  The Excel output could then be read into Inventor and then you could have each type of hold modeled and using conditional suppression (right click on the feature and choose properties) turn off the holds not required.  See the image below.   You could then save a copy of each part as a random state and place into an assembly.  Run the random number generator in Excel and see what happens.  So you would end up with a few parts and a matching spreadsheets that could be used over and over again in a new assembly, as long as you make copies or perform a pack and go of each assembly iteration.

Might be an approach to try.  If you have questions, I could try to whip up an example, but won't be able to do it until early next week.  Otherwise, I will try to answer questions as best as I can.  Came up with this idea, based on a random lunch generator I developed years ago to help my indecisive design team figure out where to go for lunch...  Silly, but effective.  Hope this helps and have a most blessed day!

Random Number Generator.png

Peace,

Pete

Just a guy on a couch...

Please give a kudos if helpful and mark as a solution if somehow I got it right.
Message 5 of 7
jwoo10
in reply to: petestrycharske

That would be awesome if you could give me example! Smiley Very Happy

Message 6 of 7
LT.Rusty
in reply to: mcgyvr

@mcgyvr wrote:

I think what you are asking is how to apply a "real" texture to a 3d part in Inventor?

Is that correct?

If so what for?

"typically" one would just call out an industry standard finish (PM or SPI,etc...) to be applied to the injection mold in the drawing?

Or do you just need to apply a texture for rendering/visualization purposes?

Too bad Mudbox isn't in the product design suites anymore ...  😞

Rusty

EESignature

Message 7 of 7
petestrycharske

jwoo10,

My apologies, but my July has been jam packed, so sorry I couldn't get you an answer more quickly.  Anyway, here is a simple example of what I was thinking.  There could probably be a more efficient method within iLogic, but I am not super proficient with iLogic yet.  One could also enhance this method by creating a master spreadsheet that sets the values for each individual part spreadsheet or drives the random number generator.  If you have any questions, I will try to do better at getting back to you Smiley Embarassed  Hope all is well and have a most blessed day!

Peace,

Pete

Just a guy on a couch...

Please give a kudos if helpful and mark as a solution if somehow I got it right.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report