Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Gears in Inventor

13 REPLIES 13
Message 1 of 14
andrewshivers
712 Views, 13 Replies

Gears in Inventor

Hey guys, im trying to make a windmill pump in inventor. I have used inventor before but never worked with gears or any issue like what I'm having. Here is my issue, I need some way to build a certain feature of the design. Heres the design: http://www.homepower.com/sites/default/files/articles/ajax/docs/3_HP122_pg88_Moore-2.jpg, or rather the general idea of what im building. I'm almost complete but I'm having issues with the guide wheel shaft and the guide wheel. I was thinking i might be able to apply gear teeth to the inside of the guide shaft and then have a gear as the guide wheel but I can't seem to be able to do that. And if I can't can any one tell me how i might go about creating the guide and guide wheel?

Tags (2)
13 REPLIES 13
Message 2 of 14
JDMather
in reply to: andrewshivers

Can you attach your assembly here?

I think what you might want is a spline or keyway between the Guide Wheel Shaft and the Guide Wheel.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 3 of 14
andrewshivers
in reply to: JDMather

Absolutely mine is more simplistic then the diagram but its the same theory. I also have to attach all of the parts when I attach the assembly correct?

Message 4 of 14
andrewshivers

Attached is the assembly

Message 5 of 14
karthur1

The iam is no good without the parts to go with it.

I took a look at the link you posted, but I dont quite understand what the problem is.  I cant quite picture how you will put gear teeth on the inside of the shaft.

Are you having trouble modeling or designing?  The guide looks easy enough to model.  Use the sweep tool.

Kirk

Message 6 of 14
andrewshivers
in reply to: karthur1

What I'm trying to do is get the guide wheel to slide up and down in guide wheel shaft. I'm not really sure how to go about it. I thought maybe a gear might work but obviously you can't do that. 

Message 7 of 14
JDMather

From the image it is supposed to rotate around (or with) the shaft.

I think you are referring to the wrong parts.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Message 8 of 14
andrewshivers

I want to get the guide wheel to go up and down on the up and down stroke however I don't know how to mate the wheel to the shaft to do this properly
Message 9 of 14
JDMather

Looks to me like there is an un-labeled Yolk sub-assembly connecting the Wheel/Shaft to the Pump Rod.

Yolk.png

The Pitman Arm supplies the rotation to translation motion (with the Pump Rod Guide constraining to translation).

Message 10 of 14
andrewshivers

My apologies everyone I realized i was referring to the wrong parts. I want the guide wheel to go up and down in that pump rod guide. The large upside-down U shaped piece. I can't seem to get it to mate properly. That's why I thought a gear might work with teeth on the inside of the Rod Guide.
Message 11 of 14
JDMather

@andrewshivers wrote:
My apologies everyone I realized i was referring to the wrong parts. I want the guide wheel to go up and down in that pump rod guide. The large upside-down U shaped piece. I can't seem to get it to mate properly. That's why I thought a gear might work with teeth on the inside of the Rod Guide.

I would use a Mate or Mate Flush between workplanes.

Message 12 of 14
karthur1

What does the cross-section of the "Pump Rod Guide" look like?  It seems like the guide wheel would be trapped by the pump guide rod on either side and it would wear rather quickly as it moved up and down.

Message 13 of 14
andrewshivers
in reply to: karthur1

The pump rod guide has to be well oiled or yes as you said it will wear down very quickly. I didn't design this particular windmill haha.

Message 14 of 14
karthur1

Looks like that would be a good place for a linear bearing.

Did you figure out how to constrain it ?

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report