Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Frequent crashes with 2014 Inventor

12 REPLIES 12
SOLVED
Message 1 of 13
EvoSpyder
3829 Views, 12 Replies

Frequent crashes with 2014 Inventor

I installed 2014 PDSP yesterday, and so far it has been crashing very freuently.

The crashes seem to be all different types, sometimes it locks up, then crashes and requests a report to send to Autodesk. Other times it just disapears, without any sort of crash notification or anything.

I've been using prior version without much problem, but so far this version has been very unstable. I uninstalled all Autodesk software prior to install and also cleaned the computer up some. Only issues seem to be with Inventor. The other Autodesk programs seem to be running fine.

Any thoughts or similar experiense with Inventor 2014?

12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13
ChrisMitchell01
in reply to: EvoSpyder

What email address do you use when you submit crash reports ? I'll take a look at what's going on with your system/config.

Thanks

Chris

Chris Mitchell
PDMS Customer Engagment Team
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 3 of 13
cmcconnell

Make sure you have teh latest version of Autodesk Sync - I was seeing similar issues as you (but in 2013) and updating Sync seems to have helped.

Mechanix Design Solutions inc.
Message 4 of 13

Thanks for sending me your email address; from the crash reports you have submitted, this issue is graphics related. It should be fixed in 2014 Update1 which was released last week.

http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/ps/dl/item?siteID=123112&id=21503391&linkID=9242019

Thanks,
Chris

Chris Mitchell
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 5 of 13
Crustaceans

I have alse experienced this. Updating the SP1 has not resolved my issue.

Message 6 of 13
mcgyvr
in reply to: Crustaceans

Its ALWAYS a good idea to update your graphics card driver to the latest manufacturers version when updating Inventor.

Autodesk does maintain a "certified" graphics driver list too if your card is covered then you can try that too..

Seems a good majority of crashes are graphic card driver related.. 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269
Message 7 of 13
EvoSpyder
in reply to: mcgyvr

Have always updated to latest manufacturer drivers. There are 3 of us here that use Inventor, all have different computers and graphics cards, all still having random crashes and other issues. If my screen is not maximized, and the part or assembly I'm working on is not maximized within the Inventor window, then the graphics are so garbled that it is unrecognizable. Spinning the part or doing certain things fixes the issues only while still holding it for rotation. As soon as shift is released, the graphics mess up again. This has been going on since SP1. Of our 3, mine is the only one having this particular issue.

This seems to be the most unstable version of Inventor we have used. SP1 did help fix it some, but still having a lot of issues.

Message 8 of 13
mcgyvr

@EvoSpyder wrote:

Have always updated to latest manufacturer drivers. There are 3 of us here that use Inventor, all have different computers and graphics cards, all still having random crashes and other issues. If my screen is not maximized, and the part or assembly I'm working on is not maximized within the Inventor window, then the graphics are so garbled that it is unrecognizable. Spinning the part or doing certain things fixes the issues only while still holding it for rotation. As soon as shift is released, the graphics mess up again. This has been going on since SP1. Of our 3, mine is the only one having this particular issue.

This seems to be the most unstable version of Inventor we have used. SP1 did help fix it some, but still having a lot of issues.

What card? Which driver?

What are your settings for tools..application options..hardware tab?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269
Message 9 of 13
blair
in reply to: cmcconnell

Make sure you have installed all the service packs and related hot-fixes for your product. Don't rely on the auto-update for updates. Saving your work regularly seems to be a great help. I don't work for more than 20-30 minutes without saving. I am hard pressed to get one crash a month. I re-boot (full power-down, wait 5 min and reboot) my system about once every 6 weeks and keep all the temp directories and caches clean. Hard-drive is defrag'd on a regular basis (automatic settings in the software). Windows Registry's are purged on a regular basis as well. Cover is removed from the unit and the inside is cleaned/blown out at least twice a year.

Inventor 2020, In-Cad, Simulation Mechanical

Just insert the picture rather than attaching it as a file
Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 10 of 13
Crustaceans
in reply to: blair

I have a 5 year old Alienware at home that's got a mediocre graphics card - radeon 5800 series. It has Inventor 2012 on it from when I was still in school. Only thing I've done with that machine is kept the graphics drivers updated. I've never opened it up to dust it off. I rarely power it off completely - certainly not with any regularity. The HDD has never been defragmented. I've never purged any registry, nor do I have a clue what a registry is.

Despite all that, Inventor 2012 works flawlessly on that PC.

Message 11 of 13
EvoSpyder

Latest updates have fixed some of the crashes, only getting one or two a month now.

However, still have the graphics issue. If the part or assembly is not maximized in the display within Inventor, or if Inventor is not maximized, or if it is maximized on my second monitor without the taskbar (so anything other than standard maximized resolution) screens look like this.

BTW... since someone asked. I have an AMD Radeon HD 5800 Series graphics card.

Most graphics options are still default, though I've tried all going through all of Inventors graphics settings. Any change fixes the issue in the current window until another file is opened.

Message 12 of 13
ChrisMitchell01

That looks like some graphics driver issues which AMD purpotedly fixed quite recently; have you tried updating your driver ?

Thanks

Chris

Chris Mitchell
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 13 of 13
EvoSpyder
in reply to: ChrisMitchell01

I had the latest driver released driver, but the beta 14.3 did resolve the issue.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report