Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Freezing problem

46 REPLIES 46
SOLVED
Message 1 of 47
jkhoylman
2743 Views, 46 Replies

Freezing problem

I recently installed Inventor on a laptop running Windows Vista, with service pack 2, 4 gb of ram. I tried to use it, but first of all, it is deathly slow, but mostly, every time I make a new part, and go to make a 2D sketch, it freezes just as the work planes appear. I have tried every thing that would have pointed to a ram issue, I have set the rendering to rough, and the quality to performance. I have even tried partitioning 3 gb of windows ready boost on a flash drive (this only led to about a 512 mb increase in actual ram). A ram issue is about the only thing I really know how to fix when something keeps freezing. I have experience with using Inventor on Mac Minis running boot camp and XP, but I am more of a mechanical guy, so am kind of at my wit's end. Can anyone help me???
46 REPLIES 46
Message 2 of 47
jkhoylman
in reply to: jkhoylman

Just to clarify, the problem is causing my computer to freeze, not just Inventor.  Also, since I posted my problem, I have tried installing service pack 1.1 and service pack 1.1 update 2, on the advice of a friend.  These have had no effect on the problem.

Tags (1)
Message 3 of 47
JDMather

Go to Tools>Application Options>Hardware tab and set to lowest setting and see if that makes a difference.

There are many many other things that could be causing the problem.

Was it installed with anti-virus and UAC turned off?

What anti-virus are you running?

Are you using a 3D Connexion device.

Trouble-shooting interactions from other software/hardware problems can be quite challenging.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Message 4 of 47
JDMather
in reply to: JDMather

Also, when was the last time your HDD was defragged?

I was running on an old 32-bit machine that was slow, (but it did work relatively fine, not like you describe).

I guess it had become progressively slower over time - no sudden notice of, "hey this just isn't right."

I defragged the HDD because of other issues (running out of space and cleaned up after deleting a bunch of old stuff).

Started Inventor and I was astonished how much faster it ran.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

EESignature

Message 5 of 47
jkhoylman

1) I already had it on "performance", which I believe is the lowest setting.  I also have the graphics on "rough"

2) It definitely installed with antivirus on, and I think UAC.

3)McAffe

4) I have no idea what a 3d connexation device is.

5) I believe never.

6) My laptop is only about 5 years old, that's old for a computer?

7) I have no idea how to defrag and am not sure I am comfortable doing it, as it is a family laptop.  Also, I believe I have addressed all possible RAM problems.

😎 In case I wasn't clear, I have been unable to use Inventor at all due to this freezing problem, it is not a problem that surfaced after a while, it was immediate.

9) Do you  think this has anything to do with the fact that Vista is not offically supported by Inventor anymore? I had to install a hotfix to get it to install in the first place, hotfix KB971138.  I was directed there by the Inventor installer.

It would be really frustrating if it was just due to Vista, as the 2 computer that I have that are capable of running Inventor run Vista, I do have a 1 gb netbook, but I don't see a student liscense option for Inventor LT.

Thanks for your help so far

-jkhoylman

Message 6 of 47
blair

"causing my computer to freeze, not just Inventor"

It might be worth the $30-$50 to take your computer in to a reputable "tech" shop. You could be fighting a Virus or Malware.

Inventor 2020, In-Cad, Simulation Mechanical

Just insert the picture rather than attaching it as a file
Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 7 of 47
JDMather

Vista is not a problem as my older computer is running Vista Home 32-bit.

There is something else wrong.

5 years is ancient in computer terms, especially if you aren't doing at least annual maintenance.

Defrag is fairly painless to run.

I recommend disconnecting all peripherals first (thumb drives, external drives, printer.....)

Turn off any power saving features.

Right click on C drive and select Properties

Click on Tools then Defragment Now.

This process will take all night, so do it before going to bed.

Although since Inventor isn't running at all - I don't know that this will help.

Over 5 years a lot of junk gets added and removed.

Clean-up should occure before attempting install.

You will probably need to follow the Autodesk Clean Uninstall (search Google) proceedure before re-install.

EESignature

Message 8 of 47
jkhoylman

I will try defragging, but the clean procedure is pretty intense, is it necessary?  Esspecially as I have a number of Autodesk programs including Autocad and Fusion.  Do any of these share material libraries and such, so that deleting them for Inventor would mess up the rest of them?  Because the other programs work properly.

Again, thanks for helping a noob like me

-jkhoylman

Message 9 of 47
JDMather

You need only uninstall Inventor, but first try everything else, including trying a Repair Install.

EESignature

Message 10 of 47
jkhoylman

Repair before or after the defrag?  Because I have tried both repairing and reinstalling before.  Also, I tried Inventor on my 8 gb, 64 bit, vista desktop.  I experienced the same problem as  on my laptop.  It is probably 4 years old, so I might try a defrag on it, but it  has tons of crap on it.  I am beginning to think that Inventor is freezing whenever I do anything on it, since on my desktop I tried creating a box and it froze.

Message 11 of 47
jkhoylman

Tried defragging. Made no difference.
Message 12 of 47
JBStile

Im having a similar problem. I can start inventor fine and everything works until i click a tool like box or line then it sezies up the entire computer. I am running windows 7 x64 with an I7 processor and 8 gigs of ram. It was running fine as of a few weeks ago.

Message 13 of 47
swhite

You said the other 2 computers you have capable of running Inventor run Vista? Have you tried installing it on one of the others to see if the problem persists? This could possibly eliminate Vista as the cause.

Steven White
Lee C. Moore, Inc.
www.lcm-wci.com
Inventor 2011
Intel Dual Xeon E31225 @ 3.1 GHz CPU
16 GB RAM
NVIDIA Quadro 600 GPU
Windows 7 - 64 Bit
Message 14 of 47
jkhoylman
in reply to: swhite

I did try installing it on my Vista, 64 bit, 8 gb, desktop, and had the same problem.  My other computer runs Windows 7, but only has 1 gb of ram.

Message 15 of 47
swhite

Can you upgrade the RAM? Most times it is relatively inexpensive to upgrade to 8GB or 16GB if it will handle that much (age of computer). What type of video cards do they have or worse yet do they have integrated video drivers? Is your Vista computer with 8GB new enough to handle Windows 7? I think an upgrade to Windows 7 from Vista is around $120 bucks and should tell you if your computer can handle it. Start Menu>Windows Anytime Upgrade.

Install it on the Windows 7 computer. Although with 1GB it would crawl, it eliminates windows as the problem if it works. If it doesn't it may be video drivers or your video card may not be robust enough.

Steven White
Lee C. Moore, Inc.
www.lcm-wci.com
Inventor 2011
Intel Dual Xeon E31225 @ 3.1 GHz CPU
16 GB RAM
NVIDIA Quadro 600 GPU
Windows 7 - 64 Bit
Message 16 of 47
jkhoylman

But it's not really worth it on a 4 year old device. Also, I have addressed every single ram suggestion and they have had no effect, 8 gb should be more than enough. Also, I don't believe that installing it on my netbook would prove anything, as thousand of people have downloaded it before on windows 7, so it should work, and others have downloaded it on vista. JBStile has reported the same problem on a different OS, therefore, I believe it either has to do with some fundemental error in Inventor, or we have it set up wrong,, or there is just something about our computers that Inventor just doesn't like.
Message 17 of 47
jkhoylman

I'm still open to suggestions though...
Message 18 of 47
blair

When you installed IV on the machine, were you?

1.) Logged in with Administrative Privileges

2.) UAC slider set to lowest position (off)

3.) Anti-Virus (if any) disable and it's service stopped

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 19 of 47
jkhoylman

No, would those help?

Message 20 of 47
blair

The first two are prerequisites, which I guess would make them important.

Un-install Inventor and re-install with the required settings.

Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report