Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Frame member insert dialog disappeared out of visible screen

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
torgny.gerthsson
3389 Views, 7 Replies

Frame member insert dialog disappeared out of visible screen

It seems that the dialog window is showing up below the visible part of my desktop. How can I restore the position back to the visible part of my screen/desktop? Any register short cut available?

Autodesk Inventor 2013 Professional
HP EliteBook 8730w Mobile Workstation
8Gb Ram, Nvidia 3700M
Windows 7 Enterprise 64 Edition
7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8

Please Autodesk!

Searching in old threads gives some solutions for older versions, but I can not find anything that works in 2013. There must be a registry key having the docking position for the frame member dialog, but I can not find it. Right now I'm stucked and can not work with the frame generator at all!

Is it possible to move the dialog box if I change the UI back to Classic style mentioned in below link?

http://inventortrenches.blogspot.com/2011/01/missing-dialog-box.html

8Gb Ram, Nvidia 3700M
Message 3 of 8

hi torgny,

updated :

i just did a test & you are in luck - the keyboard control method works on the frame insert window!

original reply:

i think a few of us have had that kind of thing happen.

i am not sure if the old fix using just the keyboard control works for that specific window. it was a long time ago and i think i did have to edit the registry. i will see if i can find it again.

but back on the keyboard control of window positions though, if you can activate a window from the taskbar or alt+tab keys and still not see it, you can use the old Alt+Spacebar, the type M, then use arrow keys to move the window around. try it on a window that you can actually see to practice first.

actually i am pretty sure this will not work on similar instances such as the inventor browser bar, as it likely does not appear separate from the main inventor application window even if it is undocked.

if you don't hear back soon, you should be able to find a post if you search for similar topics but specifically refer to the browser bar rather than the frame insert window. from there you may be able to find the appropriate registry folder.

best regards,
- Mark

(Kudo or Tag if helpful - in case it also helps others)

PDSU 2020 Windows 10, 64bit.

Message 4 of 8

I found the dialog!

Since the frame member dialog doesn't live inside the main Inventor desktop screen it can be moved anywhere. When I undocked Windows menu/short cut bar in bottom part of the screen and dragged it sideways I found the top of the dialog!!

8Gb Ram, Nvidia 3700M
Message 5 of 8

good work, that can be annoying when they are undocked.

this happens too when you use two monitors for a while and then go back to a single screen before you move everything back to the main monitor.

either way you should be able to get them back into position manually using the keyboard control mentioned above. it will work even when you cannot see the edge of the window to be able to grab hold of it.

best regards,
- Mark

(Kudo or Tag if helpful - in case it also helps others)

PDSU 2020 Windows 10, 64bit.

Message 6 of 8

Hi All,

I just had this very problem happen on my PC, and after a mild panic realizing that now quite a few years after the OP, Inventor 2017 doesn't have the classic UI enabled, so the proposed solution didn't work.

Fortunately, my problem was caused because I recently moved desks, and it seems I've re-connected the monitors to different ports. I resolved the issue by right clicking on the desktop and going to 'Display Settings'. Here, I just swapped the location of the monitors (click and drag) so my right monitor became my left and vice versa, then clicked Apply. 

I then opened frame generator and it appeared on the left screen (which because I swapped them, means I have to move the cursor off to the right to get to it).
Once I could see it, I moved the window back on top of my Inventor session, then reverted my changes to the display settings.

Hope someone else benefits!

Message 7 of 8

Hi @Gerrard.hickson

Welcome to the forum.

As I understand it, the solution at the link posted above:

http://inventortrenches.blogspot.com/2011/01/missing-dialog-box.html

... should work, even all these years later (regardless of the classic interface or current ribbon menu interface).

In any case, thanks for taking the time to provide your experience and solution to the forum for future users.

I hope this helps.
Best of luck to you in all of your Inventor pursuits,
Curtis
http://inventortrenches.blogspot.com

Message 8 of 8

Hi! If nothing works, you may try using Inventor Reset Utility (go to All Programs -> Autodesk -> Autodesk Inventor Professional xxxx -> Tools -> Inventor Reset Utility to reset the registry back to install default.

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report