Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Frame generator notching/unfolding issues

22 REPLIES 22
SOLVED
Message 1 of 23
sailah
3009 Views, 22 Replies

Frame generator notching/unfolding issues

Hi,

Please forgive my rookie status here, just learning Inventor 2014.  I have gotten the basics and am looking to draw up a mtorcycle frame based on dimensions I have in the shop.  I'm just playing around at this point and sketched a trellis frame and used 3/4" ANSI pipe for the tubes.  In reality I will be using 1" DOM 0.065" wall tubing.

I notched a couple of the tubes and can isolate/open those individual parts.  I have (tried to) follow a couple tutorials on how to "unfold" or rip the notched tube so that I can print out a template, wrap it around the tube and cut/cope it in the shop.

I keep getting an error message saying it can't rip it.  Now I drew a tube myself in another part file just by extruding a couple circles and it ripped that just fine, and would unfold it.

Is it the ANSI profile I am using from CC?  Is it because it is notched?

To be honest I couldn't follow the steps in the following http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Inventor-General/Unfold-a-tube/td-p/3168764

I tried to thicken the part, fail haha.  I'm not sure what I should be doing here.  I can thicken it fine, but then I can't "delete face solid lump"

Again, sorry about the beginner question I'm really starting from the bottom here

22 REPLIES 22
Message 21 of 23
JDMather
in reply to: sailah

Check the attached fix.

You Sculpted the surface bodies into a second solid body for the Combine-Subtract.
Inventor sheet metal does not support multi-body solids - thus the error.

I deleted your Sculpt and deleted the extra surface faces you had. (When Copy Object to get the surface - you only need the outer contact surface).

Now I used Sculpt (or Split) to cut away the excess without creating an solid bodies).

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 22 of 23
jeffsteiger6735
in reply to: graemev

I realize this is an old thread, and I've found some newer ones, but this one seems to have the best information. But I'll be damned if I can get it to work on my particular part. The Rip command never seems to work, just errors with "unable to rip". Split does the trick, but thats where I get stopped. I cannot unfold and flattening just makes another round pipe.

I've made a very thin thickened surface as I need to make a paper cut out of this once done, like this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KoOfekvSVsA, but I get stalled after picking the round face as my stationary reference, I have no option to select anything after that.

Part attached.

Inventor Professional 2020
HP Z440, Xeon E5-1650 @ 3.6GHz
32GB Ram
GTX 1080
Windows 10
Message 23 of 23

Hi! This can be done easily. The Thickness value on the part is different than the actual body thickness. Please try the following and Rip should work.

Option 1: Go to Manage -> Styles Editor -> Sheet Metal Rule -> change the thickness to 0.05mm (the body thickness d27).

Option2: Go to Sheet Metal Default -> uncheck "Use Sheet Metal Rule" and change the thickness value to 0.05mm or d27.

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report