Active Contributor
ashley.walker
Message 1 of 5 (567 Views)
Accepted Solution

Frame Generator for Plates

567 Views, 4 Replies
10-07-2012 10:31 PM

Hello Everyone.

I have been playing around with Inventor (moving across from Solidworks) and am wondering how I 'detail plates' I am becomeing familiar with the Frame Generator to create all of my members, but it seems quite disconnected in the creation process create a plate.

I currently am creating the 3D sketch (in a part) creating the (base) plate in the same part and then in the assebley I am using the frame Generator (See image) to create the members.

Does anyone have a tutorial showing how to correctly include the plates as part of the design process.

Ashley

*Expert Elite*
blair
Message 2 of 5 (554 Views)

Re: Frame Generator for Plates

10-08-2012 12:20 AM in reply to: ashley.walker

Sounds like you want the base plate to reside within the F-G assembly. Only items created within the F-G can reside within the F-G assembly. One could "Author" a custom CC part that would be your Base Plate.

On small assemblies such as what you posted, I would use a standard IAM environment and bring in my structural parts directly from the CC.

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.

IV2015 up1 PDSU / Sim Mech 2015 /
Win7-64
EVGA X79 - Classified, iCore7 3930k 32Gb Quad-Channel
950Gb (2 x 500Gb Sata III SSD RAID0 Adaptec 6805E Controller)
Nvidia GTX-690 Classified - 335.23
SpacePilot Pro 3.17.7, 6.17., 4.11
Active Contributor
ashley.walker
Message 3 of 5 (492 Views)

10-10-2012 10:53 PM in reply to: blair

I am not sure I follow,

Did you mean, model everything as single parts (so each member) and bring them into the assembley? or is their another way?

*Expert Elite*
blair
Message 4 of 5 (465 Views)

10-11-2012 08:29 AM in reply to: ashley.walker

For simple assemblies like the picture you posted, I wouldn't use the F-G.

Just start a new IAM.

Create your Base-Plate

Then for each of the structural members just place them from the Content Center and constrain them as normal parts.

You can chance size and length of the C-C members by simply RMB on them within the IAM and selecting the Change from the dialogue box.

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.

IV2015 up1 PDSU / Sim Mech 2015 /
Win7-64
EVGA X79 - Classified, iCore7 3930k 32Gb Quad-Channel
950Gb (2 x 500Gb Sata III SSD RAID0 Adaptec 6805E Controller)
Nvidia GTX-690 Classified - 335.23
SpacePilot Pro 3.17.7, 6.17., 4.11
*Expert Elite*
brendan.henderson
Message 5 of 5 (435 Views)

10-11-2012 08:40 PM in reply to: blair

I think this is a function that should be in Inventor so I added it to the wishlist.

I found an add-in that does exactly what you want. About $1200 AUD per seat. Does a great job of foot plates and beam joining plates and chamfer plates and all sorts. Here is the website http://asi-profile.de/englisch/product/demo_videos/. Have a look at the CREATE PLATE JOINTS video.

Only troubles are :-

1. Plates do not come out as sheetmetal parts, so for me this is a no-go as we CNC plasma cut ALL sheet metal up to 60 mm thick and
  2. It uses it's own library of FG members, so all of the customising I did to get AS content into the CC can't be used and I would have to publish again.
Brendan Henderson
CAD Manager

New Blog | Old Blog | Google+ | Twitter

Inventor 2014 PDS Premium SP2 Update 1, Vault Professional 2014 Subs Release 1 & Update 1

Please use "Accept as Solution" & give "Kudos" if this response helped you.

You are not logged in.

Log into access your profile, ask and answer questions, share ideas and more. Haven't signed up yet? Register

Announcements
Are you familiar with the Autodesk Expert Elites? The Expert Elite program is made up of customers that help other customers by sharing knowledge and exemplifying an engaging style of collaboration. To learn more, please visit our Expert Elite website.

Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions to get help installing your software.

Ask the Community

Inventor Exchange Apps

Created by the community for the community, Autodesk Exchange Apps for Autodesk Inventor helps you achieve greater speed, accuracy, and automation from concept to manufacturing.

Connect with Inventor

Twitter

Facebook

Blogs

Pinterest

Youtube