Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Frame Generator for Plates

4 REPLIES 4
SOLVED
Message 1 of 5
ashley.walker
4001 Views, 4 Replies

Frame Generator for Plates

Hello Everyone.

I have been playing around with Inventor (moving across from Solidworks) and am wondering how I 'detail plates' I am becomeing familiar with the Frame Generator to create all of my members, but it seems quite disconnected in the creation process create a plate.

I currently am creating the 3D sketch (in a part) creating the (base) plate in the same part and then in the assebley I am using the frame Generator (See image) to create the members.

Does anyone have a tutorial showing how to correctly include the plates as part of the design process.

Ashley

Tags (3)
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
blair
in reply to: ashley.walker

Sounds like you want the base plate to reside within the F-G assembly. Only items created within the F-G can reside within the F-G assembly. One could "Author" a custom CC part that would be your Base Plate.

On small assemblies such as what you posted, I would use a standard IAM environment and bring in my structural parts directly from the CC.

Inventor 2020, In-Cad, Simulation Mechanical

Just insert the picture rather than attaching it as a file
Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 3 of 5
ashley.walker
in reply to: blair

I am not sure I follow,

Did you mean, model everything as single parts (so each member) and bring them into the assembley? or is their another way?

Message 4 of 5
blair
in reply to: ashley.walker

For simple assemblies like the picture you posted, I wouldn't use the F-G.

Just start a new IAM.

Create your Base-Plate

Then for each of the structural members just place them from the Content Center and constrain them as normal parts.

You can chance size and length of the C-C members by simply RMB on them within the IAM and selecting the Change from the dialogue box.

Inventor 2020, In-Cad, Simulation Mechanical

Just insert the picture rather than attaching it as a file
Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 5 of 5
brendan.henderson
in reply to: blair

I think this is a function that should be in Inventor so I added it to the wishlist.

I found an add-in that does exactly what you want. About $1200 AUD per seat. Does a great job of foot plates and beam joining plates and chamfer plates and all sorts. Here is the website http://asi-profile.de/englisch/product/demo_videos/. Have a look at the CREATE PLATE JOINTS video.

Only troubles are :-

1. Plates do not come out as sheetmetal parts, so for me this is a no-go as we CNC plasma cut ALL sheet metal up to 60 mm thick and
  2. It uses it's own library of FG members, so all of the customising I did to get AS content into the CC can't be used and I would have to publish again.
Brendan Henderson
CAD Manager

New Blog | Old Blog | Google+ | Twitter

Inventor 2016 PDSU Build 236, Release 2016.2.2, Vault Professional 2016 Update 1, Win 7 64 bit

Please use "Accept as Solution" & give "Kudos" if this response helped you.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report