Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Frame Generator Questions

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
CadUser46
949 Views, 4 Replies

Frame Generator Questions

Hello Everyone.

I am trying to re-invetigate FG for the second time to see if the PDM/CAD integration will be workable yet.  I have some questions if you wouldnt mind answering.

1.  Can FG be made to generate the members from the companies templates?  We have parameters embedded into the templates i would like have inside each frame member.  Also it looks like the Skeleton model is based off our templates but you cant access the parameters in it?

2.  When creating members FG makes separate files for identical members.  How is it possible to have the QTY as 2,3,4, etc instead of the cut length?

3. What is the purpose of the skeleton file if you need a part file to base the frame on?  i.e. its effectively like having two files for the same thing? 

4.  When i run a simulation there is no way to embed the files so that they can be attached to the database along with the FG assembly.  Is there a better way to manage the simulation files and detach-re-attach the files should they be needed.  i.e. if the frame was modified?

I suspect this is still a losing batlle.

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2010 Certified Professional
Currently using 2023 Pro
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
PaulMunford
in reply to: CadUser46

Hello CadUser46,

@CadUser46 wrote:

1.  Can FG be made to generate the members from the companies templates?  We have parameters embedded into the templates I would like have inside each frame member.  Also it looks like the Skeleton model is based off our templates but you can't access the parameters in it?

Yes, you can add your own frame generator components to the Content Centre.

The skeleton model is driven by your skeleton part. You don't need access to the parameters that are inside it.

2.  When creating members FG makes separate files for identical members.  How is it possible to have the QTY as 2,3,4, etc instead of the cut length?

Look into Base Quantity, Item Quantity, Unit Quantity, and Total Quantity.

3. What is the purpose of the skeleton file If you need a part file to base the frame on?  I.e.. Its effectively like having two files for the same thing? 

The part file is created by you. The skeleton file is generated by Inventor, it is used for converting 3D solids into a 3D sketch. Don't worry about it - just go with the flow.

4.  When I run a simulation there is no way to embed the files so that they can be attached to the database along with the FG assembly.  Is there a better way to manage the simulation files and detach-re-attach the files should they be needed.  I.e.. If the frame was modified?

This one is beyond me - I'll let someone else answer!

I suspect this is still a losing battle.

Don't be downhearted! I'm sure that the Frame Generator can be tamed. If you can give some more specific detail about your workflow, we might be able to give some more specific answers...

Autodesk Industry Marketing Manager UK D&M
Opinions are my own and may not reflect those of my company.
Linkedin Twitter Instagram Facebook Pinterest

Tags (1)
Message 3 of 5
CadUser46
in reply to: PaulMunford

Paul Thanks but there are added complications.

1. We use PDM to manage the connection to the cache servers in 6 locations.  The content center is on each users machine and is therefore not under administative control nor is it part of our normal workflow.  Our templates are under our control and are distributed by me from a centralised location.  Hence our 'templates' have paramters that link to PDM custom properties that drive other functions like parts lists and connections.  I dont want to duplicate the templates in the template location and the content center if it can be avoided.  I was under the impression it used Standard.ipt then built out the geometry but this does not seem to be the case.

I could change the Application options files to point to each of the local servers and add the content center to the list of files i distribute but i need to tie down exactly where the parameters are pulled from during the member creation.

2. I have not come across any examples showing FG doing what i want it to do.  Hence i asked.  I have tried to use the different BOM quantites but this would not fulfil the PDM model.  As well as the fact it doesnt work.  For instance i have four corner posts that are identical and would normally be the same file palced four times.  In the Item QTY column it shows four files each with quantity as 1.

3.  The problem with the skeleton file is that it does not like being re-named as it always generates an error saying it can only be saved under the parent yadda yadda.  In PDM we operate a single level project file structure and the integration has to rename the files to match the databse objects.  Now i can force it to be where i want and named how i want but its such a hack i couldnt resonably expect a user to do this for one frame let alone every frame.

I have attached a sample set i threw together.  If you could get the bom to indicate the correct quantities i would love to know how to do it.

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Currently using 2023 Pro
Message 4 of 5
CadUser46

Trying to add a file but it says the max is 1,572,??? bytes.  My files is 1,384 kb. 

Finally it let me add it 🙂

Currently using 2023 Pro
Message 5 of 5
PaulMunford

To count like members replace the Part Number with a formula eg:

= <MATERIAL> <LENGTH> L x <WIDTH> W x <THICKNESS>T
= <MATERIAL>:<LENGTH>.<WIDTH>.<THICKNESS>
=<CUTDETAIL1> <CUTDETAIL2>
= <MATERIAL>:<G_L>.<G_W>.<G_H>.<MASS>

Note the addition of 'Mass' as one way of calling out items that are the same length, but have holes or other treatments.

Frame generator components are published from the Content center. To use your own custom parameters you will need to add your own components to the Content center.

Note that in the formulas above I am using 'Length' 'Width' and 'Thickness', which are our own custom parameters.

You can name the skelton part on the way in. Just make sure that the 'File name' check box is checked.

I wouldn't re-name this once the frame has been generated if I could help it. If you really have to re-name it you could try using the Design Assistant to preserve the internal linking stucture.

Frame Generator File Re-name.png

Create new frame dialog.png

You may need to use a bit of VB or iLogic to customize Inventor to suit your PDM stystem.

Autodesk Industry Marketing Manager UK D&M
Opinions are my own and may not reflect those of my company.
Linkedin Twitter Instagram Facebook Pinterest

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report