Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Frame Generator - Notching

5 REPLIES 5
SOLVED
Message 1 of 6
domtown
1122 Views, 5 Replies

Frame Generator - Notching

When using the notching command in frame generator, sometimes the notched material does not go away, but sometimes it does (see the picture). The red circle on the left shows a properly notched member, and the red circle on the right shows a notched member where the material is not actually removed. Does anyone know why this is occuring? Thank you

Notching.jpg

Autodesk Inventor Professional 2013

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
domtown
in reply to: domtown

Here's another picture where a tube notched correctly to member, but incorrectly to another member.Notching 2.jpg

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Message 3 of 6
JDMather

Rather than use the Notch tool you could edit the part to be trimmed within the context of the assembly and Copy Object the Surfaces to use for trimming from the other parts.  Then Sculpt or Split.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 4 of 6
domtown
in reply to: JDMather

I will see if I have better luck doing it your way. Thanks for the response.

Message 5 of 6
JDMather

@domtown wrote:

... better luck....

Well it will work, just more work.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 6 of 6
domtown
in reply to: JDMather

After much research, I have found that my problem is I am trying to notch to a curved tube member, which Inventor apparently does not like.

After reading many threads on the subject (most of which you had provided solutions to Smiley Happy) I realized that I could use the notch command as I previously did, and then edit each member and use 3D Model>Surface>Delete Face>Select Lump or Void - and I was able to delete the leftover material from the notches.

Thank you for your assistance!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report