Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Frame Generator: Can't Miter

18 REPLIES 18
SOLVED
Message 1 of 19
biancascura
2129 Views, 18 Replies

Frame Generator: Can't Miter

Hi,

I am using Frame Generator and have not been able to miter two members together, though I have successfully mitered another two members of the frame elsewhere in the same Frame Generator assembly. Attached is a screen shot of the error message.. I've tried deleting the existing end treatments before executing the miter and with the check box in the Miter pop-up window. The error message says: "Failed to create the end treatment. The reason for the failure is unknown. Please retry."

I have tried restarting Inventor, my computer, etc. I checked my updates and none remaining are for Inventor.

Help would be much appreciated.

18 REPLIES 18
Message 2 of 19
jalger
in reply to: biancascura

Hi Bianca,

It looks like you may already have an end treatment on the Frame member.

Try flagging the "Delete exisiting end treatment(s)" option when mitering the corner.

Regards,

James

James Alger
(I'm on several hundred posts as "algerj")

Work:
Dell Precision 5530 (Xeon E 2176M)
1tb SSD, 64GB RAM
Nvidia Quadro P2000, Win10
Message 3 of 19
biancascura
in reply to: jalger

Hi James,

I've already tried that. It gave me the same error message. See below.

Any other ideas?

Thanks,
Bianca
Message 4 of 19
jalger

Hi Bianca,

Can you do a pack and go on the Frame? Its hard to tell from one screenshot what the issue is.

It looks like you have adaptivity in the frame, it could cause issues. (normally you would only see the issues in the parts your directly mitering).

If its a vault assembly (can't tell from the picture, you may need to take ownership of the files).

If you pack and go the assembly, just pack the parts and the assembly to reduce the zip file size.

Regards,

James

James Alger

Work:
1tb SSD, 64GB RAM
Message 5 of 19
biancascura

Hi there,

Here is the folder; I look forward to hearing what you find.

Thanks,

Bianca

Message 6 of 19
admaiora

Hi Biancascura,

something  is wrong with your assy.

I believe that you have open an assembly named  something like this Frame0001.iam that was in a project subfolder named "Frame", then you saved it with another name.

That assembly hasn't to be open. It's needed by Inventor to manage all the frame.

A classic Inventor Frame assembly has a part in it that contain the skeletal (it can be  a solid...a 2d sketch, a 3d sketch , a mix..etc).

Your  assy TubeWeldmentFrameGenerator.iam  doesn't have it.

Admaiora
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

Message 7 of 19
jalger

Hi Bianca,

I'm not sure why the issue Exisits (Maybe through some edit).

but I have found that the long Frame members (...0063, 0064, 0065, 0066) all have the same issue, and they do not let you edit or create end treatments. Its strange its like they are Frame memebers but not frame memebers. I blew them away and recreated them and the end treatments work.

I hope this helps,

James

James Alger

Work:
1tb SSD, 64GB RAM
Message 8 of 19
admaiora
in reply to: admaiora

Errata Corrige: 

which is your assy?  TubeWeldment.iam or TubeWeldmentFrameGenerator.iam ?

Admaiora
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

Message 9 of 19
jalger

Hi Admaiora,

Bianca is using the edges of the Solid model as the frame.

Its not a common practice but it works. (for the long memeber you have to use point to point thats the only catch)

Regards,

James

James Alger

Work:
1tb SSD, 64GB RAM
Message 10 of 19
admaiora

Yes, as i mentioned, i know that solid parts can be used.

I have just open the wrong assy, i believe.

Actually i don't know which is menat to be the main assy.

Admaiora

Message 11 of 19
jalger

Ahhh I see where your going!

Yep Bianca you can only edit the One with "FrameGenerator" in it's name.

The other one has a copy of it inserted in it. (the one with the copy produces the error message)

Thanks Admaiora!

James Alger

Work:
1tb SSD, 64GB RAM
Message 12 of 19
jalger

In truth it shouldn't matter which of the two you edit since they should be one file. 

When you edit the Frame from the "Main" file it should link up with the "Frame" file. (Framegenerator)

In your file it doesn't do that when you select the longer members  the file seems disconnected from the Main file. (some of the smaller member still work)

The Longer frame members can be edited with no issue in the "FrameGenerator" File.

So somehow the Longer members 63, 64, 65, and 66 became disconnected with the frame. (regenerating them does nothing).

I guess you have 2 options,

1. Delete the Problem members, and recreate them in the Main assembly (it should join with the Frame Assembly file, not create a new one)

2. open the File from the "FrameGenerator" assembly to make your edits

I hope this helps,

James

James Alger

Work:
1tb SSD, 64GB RAM
Message 13 of 19
biancascura

Hi all,

Thanks for your replies. I tried deleting the long members and recreating them in the TubeWeldmentFrameGenerator assembly, but receive the same error message when attempting the miter (see Below) and so was not able to complete the miter. I am editing the FrameGenerator file and not the parent assembly for the frame-generated part.

As for which assembly is my main assembly, the TubeWeldment.iam is the parent, with the TubeWeldment.ipt and TubeWeldmentFrameGenerator files as childs.

What I have found is that I can miter the long piece if I change it to 3 short pieces, which I do not want to do. So the error is the result of merging the 3 line segments into 1 and creating the long piece. Is there a simple way to combine three short pieces that have the end treatments I want into one long piece as a workaround?

Thanks,

Message 14 of 19
jalger

Hi Bianca,

If you use "Insert Members between points" it will create a frame member between the 2 points. No merging required.

When I recreated the frame members in your "Main" assembly they worked fine for me.

How were you creating the long members?

Pick Points_Frame Generator.png

I hope this helps,

James

James Alger

Work:
1tb SSD, 64GB RAM
Message 15 of 19
biancascura

Hi James,

Thanks, that did the trick. Strange that merging them creates a problem, but I will be happy to use the two endpoints option to successfully miter the long tube members.

Thanks for your help,

Bianca

Message 16 of 19
jalger

No Problem,

Glad I could help.

James

James Alger

Work:
1tb SSD, 64GB RAM
Message 17 of 19
Kent.in.Ontario

I just had the same problem and it was also a merged part that would not miter the ends. I had the exact same error message shown above. After I blew away the merged part inserted one part too short added length and it mitered fine. Seems that merged parts won't miter at all for some reason? Autodesk might want to see if this is a bug in the programming I would think....
Message 18 of 19

Hi! It is a limitation for now. Inventor frame gen does not handle more than one miter at the same corner correctly. We are aware of the requirement and we are working on a solution but it is not available in 2019 and earlier releases. Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 19 of 19

​Would be good if the error message at least stated the reason being
related to the 'MERGED MEMBER'
Thanks!​

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report