Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

For the new guy's in the discussion group

42 REPLIES 42
Message 1 of 43
jletcher
1955 Views, 42 Replies

For the new guy's in the discussion group

Please take time and go to your settings and place what version of Inventor you are on in the signature.

Placing your computer specs would also be nice for some out there I don't care Inventor should work on any computer but a lot of the helpers out there would like to know.

This is important information we all need to be able to help and assist you better and faster.

Some of us I am sure just pass right on by if we don't see this.

Smiley HappySmiley Very HappySmiley LOL

42 REPLIES 42
Message 2 of 43
jletcher
in reply to: jletcher

Also for you new guys when you get the right answer make sure you mark it solved and the one that solved it so this way if others have the same issue the can hit the go to solution and it brings them to the correct answer..

Message 3 of 43
mrattray

What's the solution to this thread, then?

Mike (not Matt) Rattray

Message 4 of 43
jletcher
in reply to: mrattray

When I feel they all read it or see it happening....

Message 5 of 43
sam_m

If only we had a separate forum for each release of the software...  oh wait, they did...  Smiley Sad

For newbies to either this or any forum I think it's worth suggesting using this as a good guide how to generally behave:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555375/en-gb

My pet peeve is topic titles that aren't descriptive to the problem (and thus useless when users search the forum in future or skim the titles for problems they might be able to help with) - what's the use of titles like "DXF" or "another one LOL" Smiley Frustrated Smiley Wink

That guide used to be better for general forum use but it's been microsoft-ized since I last visited it.  Previously explained that topic titles like "help" weren't that helpful, not to use all caps, etc.

Sam M.
Inventor and Showcase monkey

Please mark this response as "Accept as Solution" if it answers your question...
If you have found any post to be helpful, even if it's not a direct solution, then please provide that author kudos - spread that love 😄

Message 6 of 43
Cadmanto

The one additional thought I have is ones that post trying to describe the problem without an image.

I am a visual kinda guy so please, need some pics!!!  Smiley Wink

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden
(Colossians 3:23-25)

Message 7 of 43
JDMather
in reply to: Cadmanto

@Cadmanto wrote:

The one additional thought I have is ones that post trying to describe the problem without an image.

I am a visual kinda guy so please, need some pics!!!  Smiley Wink

If a picture it worth a thousand words, how much is actual 3d geometry worth?

What are we all doing here?  Creating geometry for the purposes of conveying design intent.

Let's communicate with geometry.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 8 of 43
jletcher
in reply to: sam_m

If only we had a separate forum for each release of the software...  oh wait, they did

What I don't use it I was forced by some autodesk guy to buy it I will not give his name but I better never see him at another clients business or I will buy Solid works for that client.

what's the use of titles like "DXF" or "another one LOL

DXF was not mine but "another one LOL" is...Smiley Embarassed . See when I post with titles like that there is no help for it trust me I was an Autodesk Tech for a few years for Inventor I know what can be fixed or a work around. On that subject it would have been a battle of hardware to drivers to oh we will work on that... So I don't waste my time just letting them know....

But yes a better title for them would be nice..

To bad you can't change the title or autodesk change it to a more usefull search title...

ALL CAPS WHATS UP WITH THAT lol Smiley Happy

Message 9 of 43
Cadmanto
in reply to: JDMather

JD,

I agree with you to a point.  Images are good for things like "Why is this showing up..." or "Why does this look like this..." type things or in the response where one needs to show where a settings or command is.

Models are needed when one can't get the model to look right or assemble correctly type things.

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden

Message 10 of 43
msklein

Thanks for posting this I'm getting a little tired of asking this question before answering  any questions. I even had one guy question my requesting my wanting this info as a way just to up my answering numbers. In the past I did answered someone and gave bad info as he was on a much older version, and my solution would not work for him.

msk

Message 11 of 43
karthur1

I know the "General" standard it to place our current version in our sig, but the problem with that is our sig will change when we upgrade.  Thats a problem because it changes it in EVERY post you have done.

So if you posted about a problem you were having back in 2009 and now you change your sig, it will look like the issue was for 2013. That is why I like to put the version right in the subject line, so that it never changes no matter what my sig says.

It would be much better if we had a signature button that would place our sig as text in the post (kinda like outlook).

Message 12 of 43
mrattray
in reply to: karthur1

When the post is dated for 2010 it should be obvious that it wasn't about 2013. Smiley Happy

Mike (not Matt) Rattray

Message 13 of 43
blair

If they are going to attached a picture, just use the "Snipping Tool" and save as a JPG or PNG file. It doesn't need to be pasted into a MS Word document.

And more than just "Help" in the Subject.

Inventor 2020, In-Cad, Simulation Mechanical

Just insert the picture rather than attaching it as a file
Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 14 of 43
mrattray
in reply to: blair

Oh, I hate the paste it into MS Word bit! I won't even acknowledge .doc's.

Mike (not Matt) Rattray

Message 15 of 43
Cadmanto

Mike,

I echo your statement!!!  Those are most annoying!!!!  Smiley Mad

Maybe these suggestions should be prerequisites to posting on this forum.

And trust me when I tell you it isn't just this forum that these things occur.  Smiley Frustrated

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden

Message 16 of 43
JDMather
in reply to: Cadmanto

Everytime I see someone post a doc with a picture I want to respond, You shouldn't even be using Inventor, but I'm trying to become kinder and gentler......

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 17 of 43

@karthur1 wrote:

It would be much better if we had a signature button that would place our sig as text in the post (kinda like outlook).

You can use the Macros drop down to place this information as text. To create a Macro on this forum, go to the My Settings Link > Macros tab

And then create a Macro with the information you want. These are great for adding common responses that you get tired of typing over and over, as well.

Once the macros are created you can use the Macros pull down in the Reply to Message screen (it's next to the Spell Check and Quote buttons.

I hope this helps.
Best of luck to you in all of your Inventor pursuits,
Curtis
http://inventortrenches.blogspot.com

Message 18 of 43

What did you do Curtis?!

Mike (not Matt) Rattray

Message 19 of 43

@mrattray wrote:

What did you do Curtis?!

Smiley Sad

not sure why but when I clicked Post, my reply was posted several times. I went back and deleted the multi-posts.

edit: it just happened again Smiley Embarassed

Message 20 of 43
karthur1

@mrattray wrote:

When the post is dated for 2010 it should be obvious that it wasn't about 2013. Smiley Happy

The issue could be about any prior version.  You just have no way of knowing if you just rely on the sig.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report