Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Flexible Library Assemblies

3 REPLIES 3
SOLVED
Message 1 of 4
Winks87
578 Views, 3 Replies

Flexible Library Assemblies

If I create an assembly for a library, do I have to create positional reps before saving it to the library folder?  I would like to modify the overrides on a library assembly.  Is this possible?  I really dont want to lock in the positional overrides - think of a flexible cylinder assembly used in multiple assemblies.  The "extended" length of the cylinder could be different.  How to do?

James Winkler
3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
mcgyvr
in reply to: Winks87

I guess you have setup a non-editable library in your project file..

A cylinder could be done using constraint limits and thats it.. You don't necessarily need pos reps..

Also many people simply make a new project that allows them to edit library files..

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269
Message 3 of 4
Winks87
in reply to: mcgyvr

If I use constraint limits for the cylinder assembly, does this give me free motion?  Can I constrain the cylinder rod end to another component to have it in various positions of extensions?  I assumed it being a library part I could not do this... I will try this when I have time.  Thanks for the response.

James Winkler
Message 4 of 4
Winks87
in reply to: Winks87

Confirmed:

1.  Create a project file that enables you to modify library parts - I did this by setting the library path as my standard workspace, no "library" defined.

2.  Create an assembly with constraint limits - I used the new "joint" command with a cylindrical sliding fit  - with limits set.  The idea is to set the limits of a moving part, but not to lock it in to one position.

3.  Go back to the standard project file and insert your new assembly - IMPORTANT - set it as a flexible assembly.  This will allow you to constrain it to other moving parts.  The best part is the sliding constraint limits - this allows you to "check" a design to see if it falls within the limits.

Thanks mcgyver!!

James Winkler

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report