Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Flat Pattern difficulties

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
zetex
185 Views, 3 Replies

Flat Pattern difficulties

Hi guys, I got a part which I would like to have it also in flat pattern. I tried everything I could but without a near solution. Can perhaps one of the more IV experienced engineers help please? See the attachement.

Thanks and kind regards,

zetex

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
mdavis22569
in reply to: zetex

Few issues,

I opened it in Inventor 2014 (not sure what version you're using)

1st ... it wasn't a sheet metal part, so I converted it for my model

2nd ...  you'll need to do a rip, extrusion cut or something to break open the cone ...

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.

---------
Mike Davis

EESignature

Message 3 of 4
zetex
in reply to: mdavis22569

Hi, thanks for taking your time to answer my problem. I already have done as you showed and got the same result: the flat pattern doesn't make a flat patternSmiley Frustrated

Message 4 of 4
johnsonshiue
in reply to: zetex

Hi! For this particular case, the flat pattern would be done in two steps internally (unroll and then unfold). The flat pattern of this part would look like a rectangular sheet. The behavor seems to be inconsistent with real world experience (expecting a pie shape sheet).

The original design intent of unroll is to ensure the linear extension on both sides of an elbow be transformed correctly in flat pattern. As a result, elbow bend is unrolled back to a rectangular sheet. In reality, the elbow must have undergone non-linear material stretching and contraction. Unfortunately, this is not something a geometry-based modeler can simulate by transforming geometry alone. Geometry, material, and force all need to be considered.

Thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report