Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Finding Parts or Drawings using iproperties

8 REPLIES 8
Message 1 of 9
tj2057
307 Views, 8 Replies

Finding Parts or Drawings using iproperties

Hi,

Inventor 2013.

We are a job shop.

We have around 28000 files of different customer parts and drawings. All our parts are numbered in relation to the date they were created. All our parts have descriptions that pertain to what they are called or the location they go in. The customers generally supply's us with a sample to repair or make new. We create parts and drawings, name them in correlation with the date, and add the description or location of the particular part into the description of the iproperties tab. The customer gives us the name or location in the plant of the part. The problem we are beginning to run into is that our customers are constantly changing engineers, so the new engineer may call the part by something other than the old engineer called it. So we, consequently, are spending a lot of time trying to find the part that the customer wants. Everything is within one project folder called "customer files".

What I would ultimately try to do is to search iproperties for a certain word.

Say a customer calls me and wants a fan shaft for the GF502 head assembly. The previous engineer may have called it a pellet cooler fan shaft. He has no idea of our part number and that is the only description he has. I would like to be able to do a search for all files from all customers that have the word fan in the description. I am not very familiar with design assistant, although I think I tried doing this several month ago,

Can someone give some direction as to which way to go about this.

Thanks

Mike

Mike Jeffers
Windows 7 professional
Service Pack 1
HPZ210 workstation
Xeon CPU E31245 @ 3.30 GHz
16GB RAM
64-bit
Inventor Professional 2015, 64 bit
Build 159, 2014RTM
8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
Cadmanto
in reply to: tj2057

Mike,

As long as the iproperties are already setup, if you happen to have Vault, there are advanced searches within there that would suit this issue just fine.

check.PNGIf this solved your issue please mark this posting "Accept as Solution".

Or if you like something that was said and it was helpful, Kudoskudos.PNG are appreciated. Thanks!!!! Smiley Very Happy

New EE Logo.PNG

Inventor.PNG     vault.PNG

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden
(Colossians 3:23-25)

Message 3 of 9
pcrawley

Agreed - Vault was born for this task.

Unlike Windows Explorer where you can only see the filename, Vault gives you the ability to see (and search) all iProperties (including custom ones).  If you turn on contnet indexing, it will even find your search string in other Vaulted documents like emails, Office documents etc.  You can also build custom searches and save them for reuse at a later date.

Peter
Message 4 of 9
tj2057

Sorry, I should have mentioned, we don't use Vault.

Mike Jeffers
Windows 7 professional
Service Pack 1
HPZ210 workstation
16GB RAM
64-bit
Build 159, 2014RTM
Message 5 of 9
Cadmanto

Too bad for you.  This might be your perfect opportunity to get it.  Smiley Happy

For what you are describing, you can't afford not to have it.

Look at it this way, if you had to dig a ditch, would you rather use a bobcat or a spoon?  Smiley Wink

check.PNGIf this solved your issue please mark this posting "Accept as Solution".

Or if you like something that was said and it was helpful, Kudoskudos.PNG are appreciated. Thanks!!!! Smiley Very Happy

New EE Logo.PNG

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden

Message 6 of 9
pcrawley
in reply to: Cadmanto

Smiley Very Happy Where's my spoon?

Peter
Message 7 of 9
tj2057

Well I am sitting here with the unopened 2014 product design suite upgrade. Maybe I will look at installing vault when I install this. I am a single user and I keep on of my customer files in one project folder stored on Dropbox.

Mike Jeffers
Windows 7 professional
Service Pack 1
HPZ210 workstation
16GB RAM
64-bit
Build 159, 2014RTM
Message 8 of 9
Cadmanto
in reply to: pcrawley

spoon.JPG

New EE Logo.PNG

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden

Message 9 of 9
Cadmanto

You can still install Vault on a single machine.  Look at it this way.  You would have complete control of how you want the vault setup.

New EE Logo.PNG

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report