Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fillets problems

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
omgitsjoelski
2726 Views, 6 Replies

Fillets problems

I'm using fillet to round the edges on a CO2 Dragster that I am creating within inventor. When I do 2+ fillets on different edges, after a couple I get the "fillet is too complicated" error. It specifically happens on the tip of the car where it comes to a point, like this /\ . On the tip I can only do one side, and the car is exactly symmetrical. Is there a way I can chop the car in half, do the fillets on one side, and then mirror the car, so that I have a left and right side of the car? I plan on having this car 3D printed, and the rules for the competition say that I cannot glue pieces of wood together, so if it 3D prints in 2 pieces it's a no-go.

Thanks,

Joel

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
ben_neb43
in reply to: omgitsjoelski

Post a picture to describe what geometry you're talking about. Fillets can easily get complicated as they can follow an edge by themselves. Have you tried reducing the fillet size to 0.00001 to see if its interfering with it self?

Message 3 of 7
jletcher

Have you tried to put a few in then more?

Some times you have to find the steps for fillets to work. It may not work if you try to do them all at once.

You  may have to do two edges and then two more then one and so on...

Post your part or pics so we have something to work with..

Message 4 of 7
omgitsjoelski
in reply to: jletcher

Should have been a bit more clear in the first post I guess. I'm at school now but i'll post pics up of the car when I get home.

At first it would try to do the whole edge of the car, but then I got going and did little pieces of it at a time, but then I would always get to a point where it wouldn't let me fillet the edge anymore, usually after I started on the other side of the car.

Message 5 of 7
JDMather

better yet - attach the *.ipt file rather than a picture.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 6 of 7
ben_neb43

Try filleting without automatic edge chain.

help fillets 1.JPG

Message 7 of 7
wilkhui

Hi Joel,

Have you managed to make any progress with your part? Would you be able to post an Inventor part file?

In case you'd rather not post it publicly, you can email me at inderjeet [dot] wilkhu [at] autodesk [dot] com

Best wishes,

Indy

Inderjeet Singh Wilkhu
Product Owner - ASM
Autodesk, Inc.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report