Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fillet lines in different work planes?

13 REPLIES 13
SOLVED
Message 1 of 14
nmgmarques
3367 Views, 13 Replies

Fillet lines in different work planes?

Hi /b/!

I am stumped on a problem. I am trying to create a bottle holder for a bike or whatever. I go the jist of working with multiple work planes to create half of the contour I wanted and then sweeping it to create the metal frame for the thing. Mirror completed the part. But as you can see here my edges are all right angled. I know I can fillet the edges out, but I wanted to fillet the tubing instead to give the appearance of having been bent out of a single metal rod. I tried filleting between the lines, but it doesn0t work (I think cuz I created the lines on separate work planes).

Can anyone help or point in the correct direction? Am I supposed to make the guide line in a single sketch? If so, please do tell how.

All help greatly appreciated.

Original work file in attachments below.

13 REPLIES 13
Message 2 of 14
Dennis_Jeffrey
in reply to: nmgmarques

You need work on the visualization. Numerous workplanes are not needed.

I created one workplane in the model to build the overall skeleton. The skeleton was used to create a 3D sketch by including the skeleton geometry. I then added bends in the 3D Sketch. One workplane was created at the end of the path so that the sweep profile could be made. No need to fillet Sketches one, two and three.

Post your end result back.

4-9-2011-NG000126.png

Please mark this response as "Accept as Solution" if it answers your question.

Subscribe to the free digital "The Creative Inventor Magazine" now available at: http://teknigroup....

XP64 SP2, GeForce 9800GT-1GB, Driver: 6.14.12.7061, 8GB Ram, AMD Athlon II 3.2 Ghz
Laptop: Win7-64 Pro, 4GB, ATI Graphics on board, 2012 Ultimate, IV2011 or 2010 Pro, all SP's
Message 3 of 14
nmgmarques
in reply to: Dennis_Jeffrey

Hi.

First, let me start by thanking you for the reply. So, if I understand correctly, I trace the tube path in one go, changing my perspective as I go? I can understand that, but how do I go about changing the line direction? I have tried selecting a different plane at the end of the line, but Inventor won't let me unless it's a new sketch. ANy video tutorials or examples out there for me to see?

Message 4 of 14
Dennis_Jeffrey

Drag the EOP marker up in my file. Then step it down one notch at a time to see how I created the skeleton. I only needed one workplane for the skeleton creation.

I'll be out for the day. Hopefully someone else can help.

Subscribe to the free digital "The Creative Inventor Magazine" now available at: http://teknigroup....

XP64 SP2, GeForce 9800GT-1GB, Driver: 6.14.12.7061, 8GB Ram, AMD Athlon II 3.2 Ghz
Laptop: Win7-64 Pro, 4GB, ATI Graphics on board, 2012 Ultimate, IV2011 or 2010 Pro, all SP's
Message 5 of 14
nmgmarques

Ok. So I built a skeleton using different planes (not workplanes) and then using that skeleton created the path with a new 3D Sketch. The resulting part does look better and I do have some bends in there now. Thanks for that, btw. Much better.

But some intersections are still not bent. Suggestions?

Link to images here!

And the altered part file below:

Message 6 of 14
JDMather

It looked to me like you were doing too much work.
Drag down the EOP step--by-step in attached.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Message 7 of 14
nmgmarques
in reply to: JDMather

I swear to God I am pulling the End Of Part down, and I see what both of you did. You seem to have created "outlines" or "guides" for the 3D Sketch. That much I have understood. But I can't for the life of me figure out how you go from that to the 3D Sketch. Do you convert the lines or something? I swear I am trying here 😞 Please don't give up on me. Is there any chance for a short video so I can see how it was done?

JD's is perfect. I just can't figure out how you did the 3D Sketch from those 2D's.

Message 8 of 14
JDMather

See Tutorial 7 here http://home.pct.edu/~jmather/content/DSG322/inventor_surface_tutorials.htm

and attached image.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

EESignature

Message 9 of 14
Dennis_Jeffrey

Here's a custom video for you. I started with the existing sketch1...

BTW, I have a 32 hour live web training class starting July 12th. Check it out.

More info here: http://teknigroup.com  go to Events link.

Video link: http://teknigroup.com/Videos/2012Q2/3D%20Sweep1/3D%20Sweep1.html

Message 10 of 14
nmgmarques

Thanks to both for the great help (and video). It was just what I needed. As for the course, I wish I had the money to spare. But I don't. Smiley Sad

I am trying my best to learn as much as possible by myself since I am not getting any support from work. As far as they are concerned, it's "figure it out yourself" all the way.

I'd like to make a couple of more questions. One is related to this part (well, actually aplicable to any part) and the other I'll opena  new topic because it's related to an assembly. Related to this part, I know I can change the aspect of the part by selecting the body and then going to the material dropbox and selecting corresponding materials. But what if I want red polished aluminium or chrome? How can I select the material (say Chrome) and make it red or blue or whatever color I want?

Message 11 of 14
JDMather

This file might help visualize how I created the 3D intersection (this is the old technique).

To create your own custom color go to Manage>Styles Editor>Color and select Chrome.
Select Copy and give it new name.
Edit as desired (should be able to figure this out by trial and error).
I apply my new material and move the part over to the side so that I can see the changes as I change the settings - go back into the Styles Editor and continue to tweek the color.

Did your company pay for your college classes?
Sometimes you have to be willing to invest in yourself.
If the company does not reimburse you for that investment - then move on once you are ready.

EESignature

Message 12 of 14
nmgmarques

And JD saves the day (yet again) 🙂

No, I paid for my education. The company is very much into giving us lots and lots of training (as long as it's free or paid for by the State, and by that I mean they receive money). They don't really like to pay for training unless 1000% necessary. No, that's not an extra Zero, it's exactly right.

As for investing in myself, I am doing all I can right now. I have gone back to Uni, trying to get my second degree, this time in Engineering. It's already taking up valuable time and plenty of money. I have a 2 year old kid back home and a loving wife that supports me, so I guess I can say they are my driving force. But cash is spread thin these days and it's not looking good for Portugal, so I have to scrimp and save as much as I can. Hence not investing more than absolutely necessary right now.

In regards to moving on, well I am quite happy here. Not saying it's my dream job, but it's pleasant. Maybe the future might hold something different after I finish up my degree. But that's way down the road since I am still first year and can't do more than half the subjects per year (time constraints).

Message 13 of 14
JDMather

Good to hear that you are willing to invest in yourself - too many retire on the job expecting to not have to do any more self-initated personal development for the rest of their career.

Students can get Inventor (and other Autodesk products) for free 3-yr learning licenses here http://www.autodesk.com just don't mix the learning work with commercial work as the edu files contain a watermark.

EESignature

Message 14 of 14
nmgmarques

Thanks for the tip. So far I have been using the licensed version used here in the company, but it'll be great to get it onto my Notebook at home to delve further into it.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report