Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Files with AutoCAD blocks won't Publish properly

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
NateBertram
629 Views, 7 Replies

Files with AutoCAD blocks won't Publish properly

I have Inventor 2008 DWG files that include some AutoCAD blocks. When I create DWFs of the files using the Publish command in Inventor 2008, the AutoCAD blocks do not show up in the DWFs.

Does anyone know of a way to get the Publish command to include the AutoCAD blocks? I would like my DWF files to include all the geometry in the DWG. Edited by: Nate-Dogg on Jan 7, 2009 9:03 AM
7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
Anonymous
in reply to: NateBertram

Hi Nate-Dogg,

Could you please share your DWG file with us? you can reach me by mail:
Amy.Ye@autodesk.com

Thanks
Amy

wrote in message news:6099771@discussion.autodesk.com...
I have Inventor 2008 DWG files that include some AutoCAD blocks. When I
create DWFs of the files using the Publish command in Inventor 2008, the
AutoCAD blocks do not show up in the DWFs. Does anyone know of a way to get
the Publish command to include the AutoCAD blocks? I would like my DWF files
to include all the geometry in the DWG. Edited by: Nate-Dogg on Jan 7, 2009
9:03 AM
Message 3 of 8
NateBertram

Unfortunately, I cannot share these files because of a confidentiality agreement with the customer.

This morning I did find a way to get the AutoCAD blocks to publish, although it is not a satisfactory solution. If I delete the base view in the file, the next time I publish the file, all the AutoCAD blocks are included in the DWF. Obviously this is not a real solution because the base view is a necessary part of the file, but this info could aid in troubleshooting.
Message 4 of 8
Anonymous

Hi Nate-Dogg,

Thank you for the follow up, and did you use
the metric dwg template in Inventor? is there any partlist on your
drawing? If yes, try to delete partlist then publish to DWF file.

Thanks

Amy

style="PADDING-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; BORDER-LEFT: #000000 2px solid; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px">
Unfortunately,
I cannot share these files because of a confidentiality agreement with the
customer. This morning I did find a way to get the AutoCAD blocks to publish,
although it is not a satisfactory solution. If I delete the base view in the
file, the next time I publish the file, all the AutoCAD blocks are included in
the DWF. Obviously this is not a real solution because the base view is a
necessary part of the file, but this info could aid in
troubleshooting.
Message 5 of 8
NateBertram

No, the metric dwg templete was not used.

There are partlists on some of the drawings, but none of the drawings will publish the AutoCAD blocks contained within. If I delete a partlist from a dwg that has one, the AutoCAD blocks still do not publish.
Message 6 of 8
nbradbury

Did you ever find a solution to this problem? I have an autoCAD block that I have placed in my Inventor dwg and it will not show up when I print.
AIP 2010
Regards,
Nathan
Message 7 of 8
NateBertram

No solution was ever found for this problem. Autodesk's response was as follows:

'The issue here is that they are “round tripping” Inventor DWG which is not supported. Currently, the workflow of opening an Inventor DWG in AutoCAD, modifying it & saving the changes, and then opening it back up in Inventor is not a valid operation. Doing this will cause problems for the Inventor DWG.'

This is unfortunate because compatibility with AutoCAD DWG was one of the selling points of Inventor. We have found that opening an Inventor DWG in AutoCAD is by far the easiest way to add certain content.

Hopefully, someday we'll have time and money to convert all our AutoCAD blocks and lisp routines into Inventor symbols and macros. Until then, our work-around is that we never use the DWF format to share files. We use PDF instead. We have not noticed our geometry disappearing when we make PDFs.
Message 8 of 8
nbradbury

I am not opening the drawing in AutoCAD. I am opening the Inventor DWG with Inventor and importing the AutoCAD block from the drawing environment. Have you tired that workflow and had the AutoCAD blocks print?
N-

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums