Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Files show preview but don't open

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
sheriff12
326 Views, 3 Replies

Files show preview but don't open

I have Inventor 2014 installed on my computer. My O/S is Windows 7 Ultimate. The problem I am experiencing is that when I open the tutorial files and click to open a file such as VBelts.iam or bearing.iam, the preview of the item will show in the tutorial files dialog box. But, when I click to open it in the graphics area, nothing appears. At the bottom of the graphic screen it will say that the particular file such as VBelts.iam has been selected. I have tried every solution I can think of including making sure in the browser that visibility is on. Does someone have a solution to this problem?The problem didn't occur in the previous tutorials. When I clicked open in the dialog box it worked as it should. The problem first occured when I tried to open SkeletonBase.ipt and has continued in the next few tutorials.

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
blair
in reply to: sheriff12

Check to make sure you have the latest Microsoft certified drivers for your graphics card.

Is this a new install, can you create a new file and see it on the screen.

Try the Compatibility setting in the Inventor Application Options>Hardware.

Inventor 2020, In-Cad, Simulation Mechanical

Just insert the picture rather than attaching it as a file
Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 3 of 4
JDMather
in reply to: sheriff12

@sheriff12 wrote:
.... I have tried every solution I can think of...
The problem first occured when I tried to open SkeletonBase.ipt

Did you reboot the computer and this problem persists?
Can you create a new part file from scratch.

Can you create a new assembly from scratch and add components?

Can you attach the SkeletonBase.ipt file here?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Message 4 of 4
Paul-Mason
in reply to: JDMather

Have you had a look at the file associations,

In Windows Explore - high-light any one of the files types that you are having problems with - right click mouse button - select "open with" from the context menu that appears,

In the next window that pops-up there should be displayed a list of the programs that can, or should open that type of file the default should be shown as "Autodesk Inventor (year)" IF this is NOT there then select "OTHER "  if "Autodesk Inventor (year)" select  it if not  click on Browse" and go to C:\Program Files\Autodesk\Inventor 2012\Bin, or where ever your program is installed, and select "INVENTOR.EXE".

Finally in the bottom right place a check (tick) mark in that box "always use ....."

==============
Inventor 2023 Pro
HP Z420 workstation
Xeon 3.7Ghz CPU 8 Cores, 64 GB Ram
64bit (The Garbage known as) Windows 10 Pro
AMD FirePro V3900 (ATI FireGL) (1GB RAM)
=================
Ashington Northumberland (UK) ~ Home to the WORLD FAMOUS Pitman Painters Group

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report