Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

File exchange between Rhino and inventor/revit

8 REPLIES 8
Message 1 of 9
Capsicum
13743 Views, 8 Replies

File exchange between Rhino and inventor/revit

Hi

Im no expert in Autodesk and i only use the civil 3d platform myself but we have several costumers using Inventor and Revit for their modeling and i have som quick questions.

We use Rhino and sometimes Sketchup for modeling scanpointclouds and need to deliver this model to Inventor and Revit, what exchange format is the most compatible for this ?

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
KevinLi-Autodesk
in reply to: Capsicum

Hi Capslcum,

What's Inventor version your customer use ? Inventor can directly open the Rhino files with *.3dm (see attached image). Revit should also support Rhino file format *.3dm, if not, I suggest to use STEP or IGES neutral file format.

Regards,

Kevin Li

Kevin-Hongyuan Li
Software Quality Assurance Engineer
Design, Lifecycle and Simulation Product Group
Direct: +86 21 2039 6025
Email: Hongyuan.Li@autodesk.com
Autodesk, Inc.
NO. 130, Lane 91, E Shan Rd
Building 12, Floor 6,
Shanghai 200127, PRC
www.autodesk.com
Message 3 of 9
Capsicum
in reply to: KevinLi-Autodesk

Thanks for the informative reply 🙂  

Message 4 of 9
rdyson

If memory serves, the Rhino translator was added as a bonus in 2010. It supports Rhino version 4 and maybe earlier versions.

PDSU 2016
Message 5 of 9
Capsicum

Hi

When i export a test model from Rhino i get several options on STEP and many options on IGES.  I have no idea what these options does, seems like different templates for different softwares/applications,    Does anyone knows what to select ?

Message 6 of 9
rdyson

Post a (preferably small) 3dm sample.

PDSU 2016
Message 7 of 9
Capsicum

Hey

My costumer is trying to import the files i sent him, but he doesnt quite know which buttons to press for the import, i am not a REVIT user myself so i cant be of much help.  Which function should he use to import the files mentioned above ?

Message 8 of 9

Hello 

I have question for you.

Ive exported my object on Rhino as Step.

And i tried import my step. file on inventor it is always opened empty page there is no object.

Message 9 of 9
anapoli

Hi

Unfortunately till now Revit doesn't have the same functionality as Autocad and Inventor and Navisworks which allows to open directly 3dm files. We have been waiting for it for such a long time: I was wondering when are you going to add it to Revit?

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report