Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

File Structure, Assemblies, and Constraints. Oh MY !

0 REPLIES 0
Message 1 of 1
dsmith24
96 Views, 0 Replies

File Structure, Assemblies, and Constraints. Oh MY !

I want to set up my file structure as shown below. The first component in the Master.iam is the Matrix.iam. The Matrix is nothing more than a grid of Work Planes driven by a linked XL sheet called Unit Constraints. All Sub-Assemblies are constrained to the Matrix.iam. All subs also have the same linked Matrix as their first component. Furthermore all parts in the subs are constrained to the Matrix. (the matrix controlls all)

Master.iam
Matrix.iam
Sub1
Matrix.iam
xxx.ipt
xxy.ipt
Sub2
Matrix.iam
xxz.ipt
xxt.ipt
Sub3
Sub4
Sub5
Sub6
Unit Constraints.xls

Can I move part xxx.ipt from Sub1 to Sub4 and maintain constraints?
Is this a valid practice, or am I going down the wrong road?

Early models were prone to failures, and it was difficult to pass parameters around to the various sub-assemblies. Once I linked the Unit Parameters to all aspects of the model these problems went away and the model became rock solid. (strike 357 for IV)

I have Demoted parts and assemblies to create production assemblies that match our BOM needs. In doing this I end up with an assembly that has multiple Matrix.iam components.

Can I merge these Matrix.iam’s somehow?
Deleting unwanted Matrix.iam’s will cause their children to loose constraints. I would like to think that I could get parts and assemblies to adopt any Matrix as its mom, after all they are all the same file.

Any suggestions and advice is welcome.

Thanks
DaSmith
0 REPLIES 0

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report