Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

File Open dialog

10 REPLIES 10
Message 1 of 11
karthur1
729 Views, 10 Replies

File Open dialog

Just say that I need to open a file and browse to the file location and open it.  The next time that I  open a file, Inventor now goes to the previous folder location, but does not save the prior filename.

I could be wrong, but I thought that 2009 would go to the folder location and also retain the filename.  So the previously opened file would be highlighted in the file open dialog.

I am running 2010,Adv sup pack #3.  Could someone that is running 2009 or 2010, no sp test this and see what they get?

Thanks

10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
blair
in reply to: karthur1

Not in IV2010 anymore, but with IV2011 it defaults to the last folder/directory opened regardless of the IPJ. Even  if you close IV2011, then select open, you get your last directory and not your Work Directory from the IPJ.

It seems it get fixed in one SP and then changed in the next SP.

Inventor 2020, In-Cad, Simulation Mechanical

Just insert the picture rather than attaching it as a file
Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 3 of 11
Mike_Maenpaa

I'm using Inv. 2010 SP3 and it remembers the last file and path when I open.

Same thing for Open from Vault.

If I change project files, then it goes to the workspace folder.

Mike

Message 4 of 11
karthur1
in reply to: Mike_Maenpaa

Mike,

My 2010 retains the filename of the previously opened file, but it does not highlight it in the open dialog.  I still have to pull the vertical bar down to find the previously opened file.

In this video, I have just opened and closed the -041 part number.  Now I want to open up a -043, which is just below it.

http://screencast.com/t/YzQwMDM3

I thought that it used to highlight the previous file in the file open dialog.

This is one thing that I do like about Autocad (2010).

Message 5 of 11
Mike_Maenpaa

@karthur1 wrote:

Mike,

My 2010 retains the filename of the previously opened file, but it does not highlight it in the open dialog.  I still have to pull the vertical bar down to find the previously opened file.

In this video, I have just opened and closed the -041 part number.  Now I want to open up a -043, which is just below it.

http://screencast.com/t/YzQwMDM3

I thought that it used to highlight the previous file in the file open dialog.

This is one thing that I do like about Autocad (2010).

That's how it is working here.

Mike

Message 6 of 11
cwhetten

I think you are right, karthur1.  I remember 2010 used to highlight the last-opened file in the open dialogue.  I noticed that it stopped doing this right about the time that I upgraded from Win XP 32 to Win 7 64.  But, I also got SP3 at the same time.  Maybe it's the OS change, maybe it happened in SP3?  I'm not sure.  Whichever it is, it is really annoying.  That seemingly insignificant behavior was built into my subconscious workflow.  Now that the behavior has changed, I find that my workflow hiccups now and then, and it is frustrating.

-cwhetten

IV2010 Professional SP3
Build 551 Subscription Advantage Pack
Windows 7 Pro 64-bit

Dell T3500, Intel Xeon Duo 2.40 GHz, 6 GB RAM

NVIDIA Quadro FX 1800, 768 MB
Driver Ver: 197.85
Dual Monitors, 1280x1024

Message 7 of 11
Mike_Maenpaa
in reply to: cwhetten

I'm on XP 32.

Like I said before, it works for me.

I wish it would put the focus on the file list, so that I could scroll with the mouse wheel instead of having to click there first.

Mike

Message 8 of 11
karthur1
in reply to: cwhetten

I was on Inv 2010, Adv Sup Pack 3 running XP-32 bit.  We changed to Win7-x64 and I notice it now, but I was not sure when they sneaked it in.  It sounds now like the two OS are different.

Yes, it is very annoying.

Maybe when AD gets back from vacation, they will repsond to this.

Thanks,

Kirk

Message 9 of 11
karthur1
in reply to: Mike_Maenpaa

Mike,

Sounds like a good "wish list" item.

http://www.mcadforums.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=11271

Message 10 of 11
pwoolfrey

This exact problem has been driving me crazy until today.  I seemed to have unknowingly solved it.  I've since done this on  a co-workers machine and it also worked.  I'm running Inventor 2011 (64-Bit Edition).  All I did was this:

Download and Install from KwikMcad, the utility call KwikSert.  I use this religiously and it saves a ton of time.

http://www.kwikmcad.com/icode/KWiKSert_64/KWiKSert_64.aspx

Once this was installed, and I re-started Inventor, voila, File-Open automatically takes me to the last file I opened.  If anyone can explain this, I would be interested in hearing why this fixed it.

Cheers!  If this works for anyone else, post and let us know.

Seems like the good folk at KwikMcad have now resorted to solving problems without even knowing it.

Peter Woolfrey

Ontario Drive & Gear

Space / Robotics Division

Message 11 of 11
karthur1
in reply to: pwoolfrey

Thats strange.  I'm running Kwiksert as well and the file-open dialog is still broken for me.  I am on 2011 x64 now.  The file open dialog remembers the file name and the location, but it does not move to that file in the dialog (just like my original post here).  I think that it has something to do with the x64 system cause it seems to be working in the x32 installs.

Only way I can explain it is that you dont have enough files in your folder to have a vertical scroll bar.... other than that, you must have a bug...lol

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report