Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

File Managment - Where to save common parts

8 REPLIES 8
SOLVED
Message 1 of 9
ProfileLightingLtd
1323 Views, 8 Replies

File Managment - Where to save common parts

Hi All

I am new to inventor, our company is looking to move away from AutoCAD for product design.

I have created parts that will be used over again in multiple projects, where should these be saved to stop the message "The location of the selected file is not in the search path of the active project file." I know I can turn the message off but I am wondering if there should be somewhere particular I should save these components.

Currently I have a project folder called Components in my dropbox account so I can share these at work and at home. My intention is to put all my components into subfolders inside this folder.

So in the folder I have created sub folders listing component groups eg Terminal Blocks, lamps, ballasts etc. In those folders I have created more subfolders.

Is this acceptable or is this work flow wrong? When I have created most of the components needed I will want to move this folder onto my works network.

Thanks.

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9

Hi there,

The currently active 'Project File' definies the location of your 'workspace'.

Your workspace is the file location in which Inventor will automatically revert to when opening and saving files and Inventor will automatically search for files in this location if files have moved.

I would suggest that you go Get Started -> Projects

Workspace.png

From here you should be able to redefine the workspace location (by right clicking where I have highlighted) to match the folder which you use for your engineering projects.  This should stop that message appearing and help things run smoother.

Wayne Helley
Inventor 2013 Certified Professional

Autodesk Inventor Professional 2023
Visual Studio 2022
Windows 10 Pro, 64-bit
Message 3 of 9

Thanks Wayne

So Lets see if I have this right.

I tired a few things and got it working (See 5) but not convinced I have this completly right as I am having to navigate from the root folder each time which is a bit of a pain as the folder strutcure I would like means the folders will go quite deep.

I would be greatful if you could have a look and advise please.

Inventor Projects.jpg

Regards

Chris L.

Message 4 of 9

Figure 5 matches what I had in mind.  I am guessing that you figured out that the error message appears when using method 3 or 4 because the Components folder is not within the Profile projects (fig 3) or the Asda folder (fig 4).

Our company uses the method used in Fig 5, having one master project file for everything, and like you say it is a big pain having to delve down through sub-folders!

You could have a project file set up for each engineering project you use, like you have done with Asda.  As you have noticed, you get the error as the standard components you are using are outside your workspace.  I think this can be solved by right-clicking where it says Libraries and adding the Compnents folder.  I haven't used this method before myself though so this is a bit of an educated guess!

Wayne Helley
Inventor 2013 Certified Professional

Autodesk Inventor Professional 2023
Visual Studio 2022
Windows 10 Pro, 64-bit
Message 5 of 9

The workspace should be the folder location of your current project. Add folder locations to the workgroup search paths and libraries to pull components in without errors(found directly under the workspace location). These locations will show up on the left side of the open file window for quick navigation. Listing a location as a workgroup search path will make the components selected from that location editable. Listing a location as a library will make the components selected from that location un-editable. These conditions only apply within the applied project.

Using Inventor 2022 on Windows 10

Ideas needing support: spur gear tooth profile, rack gears generator
Message 6 of 9

Thanks Wayne Fig 5 it is then.

FYI adding paths to the Librarys and Frequently used folders adds shortcuts to the left which is very handy for me, Maybe to you too if you havent tried it.

Thanks Again

Shortcuts.jpg

Message 7 of 9

HI Jeremy

Thanks for your reply that makes sense and is how I thought it worked from the training course i went on but there was no mention about pulling files from different project files on the course, I have spoke to a few people and they all say they have everything under a master folder.

I can see the benifit of doing it your way as I can hit the workspace button and it navigates back to the folder I am currently working in and all my shortcuts are there in the left column but is there a way of saving a project as a template or setting up a custom one so when I start a new project the workgroup search paths/Librarys and Frequent folders are automatically filled in without me having to navigate to the folders I want each time I start a new project as I would really like about 10+ folders on the left.

Thanks

Message 8 of 9

We are a design-build company that does everything from cheese cutters to assembly automation, so we give every job it's own project file, this also helps keep the file tree shorter. I do not know if there is a way to set up a template for a project file. However, I can say that when I set a folder up as a library Inventor appears to remember that, and when I make a new project I am given the option to select from those libraries at the time of project creation. Hopefully someone else can confirm this.

I just did a quick look, and it does not seem as though there is a way to do a project template. The following post has a suggestion for a work around. http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Inventor-General/Creating-a-Standard-quot-New-Project-quot-Template/td...
Using Inventor 2022 on Windows 10

Ideas needing support: spur gear tooth profile, rack gears generator
Message 9 of 9

Thanks Jeremy

That solutions works for me, The library's do appear now when setting up a new project. Also I set up a template to copy and rename.

Thanks to Wayne also I appreciate both of your time.

Regards

Chris L.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report