Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Feature recognition improvement

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
BrotherkennyhDWR
395 Views, 4 Replies

Feature recognition improvement

Hi,

I have been using the feature recognition tool, which I find very useful. We get a lot of parts that are just a base solid after import form another CAD package.

The feature recognition tools works for the simpler ones, but with complex parts I find it won't recognise anything.

For example;

I have a 6 spoke allow wheel model for a classic race car.

The feature recognition tool cannot identify any simple revolves or extrudes because the spokes interfere with the adjacent faces.

The spokes are no doubt created with a loft feature and the feature recognition tool is unable to detect the loft.

I can use the sculpt tool for complex shapes like this, but the sculpt includes the entire body and sits at the top of the feature tree.

If I were to use the delete face tool on the spokes with the heal option enabled it is able to untrim the surrounding surfaces to repair where the spokes interfered with the rest of the model. If the sculpt option in feature recognition or a new similar tool were able to do this it could leave complex shapes as a sculpt at the end of the model tree instead of at the start. This would leave a much simpler model to recognise features on. In my example of a wheel it leaves a simple revolve of the profile. If I were to fully recognise features in this example it would leave me able to edit almost all of my model.

One small item I also though the feature recognition tool might benefit from was the ability to recognise patterns. Its a much smaller issue, but helps keep the model tree tidy.

Cheers

Kenny

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5

Hi!

Maybe you're right, but you have to talk to the developers, not the common users in the forum... we can do ....nothing...

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so, use the  Mark Solutions!  Accept as Solution or Give Kudos!Kudos - Thank you!

Regards.
CCarreiras
Message 3 of 5
JDMather
in reply to: BrotherkennyhDWR

BrotherkennyhDWR wrote:

One small item I also though the feature recognition tool might benefit from was the ability to recognise patterns. Its a much smaller issue, but helps keep the model tree tidy.

First of all, is the entire part wrong?  I would ask the source to send you correct geometry.

I only recognize those features that I actually need to change.  And I always use in manual mode.

The Feature Recognition does create feature patterns.  (it is a bit of a trick)

Post example file here and explain what needs to be changed and why (for understanding the design intent).

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Message 4 of 5
BrotherkennyhDWR
in reply to: JDMather

Hi,

Thanks for the reply,

Not exactly sure what you mean by the entire part wrong.

I am not sure of the full details, but when we first looked at 3D CAD several years ago we tried a few packages and then purchased Inventor. We have a handful of files that were created during that period that now only exist as imported models with a base solid in them. Quite often someone needs to change one of these files so we inevitably end up chopping bits away and adding new or redrawing the part. In this particular case we wanted to make a new part from a similar file, unfortunately the similar file is one of these imported files. I cannot go back to source and ask for a new file, at least not without my trusty time machine.

If we could recognise features then we would be able to edit these parts. I appreciate your comments about  only recognising the features you want to update, but in the case of a wheel there aren't really many features anyway.

I can't give out one of our files and I can't find a free example that is similar to the part we are editing. Thanks for the response though. There are 4 of us in my office, I am sure we will figure something out. I was more interested in airing my thoughtson the feature recognition tool.

Cheers

Kenny

Message 5 of 5
rdyson
in reply to: BrotherkennyhDWR

Have you played with 'move face' any.
May or may not be of interest.

PDSU 2016

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report