Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Feature Control Frame Y14.5 2009 Update

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
b.mccarthy
2078 Views, 4 Replies

Feature Control Frame Y14.5 2009 Update

I need to add a modifier to the FCF that is defined in the ASME Y14.5-2009 standard that is not part of the current options in the FCF dialog. It is the Unequally-Disposed modifier, a "U" enclosed in a circle. There are others I would like to add as well.

The current FCF options support ASME Y14.5-1994.

An easier route would be to apply an update. Is one available?

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
4donwan4
in reply to: b.mccarthy

I cannot state why the standard was developed based on ASME Y14.5M - 1994 but this is stated in that ddialog box for the Feature Control Frame Comments area. I also do not see anyway a symbol like this to be added. You could create a sketch symbol but I realize this is not an ideal option. Below is the enhancement area to request a symbol to be aded.

http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/index?siteID=123112&id=1109794

Regards,

Don

Message 3 of 5
b.mccarthy
in reply to: b.mccarthy

The 2009 standard is 4+ years old. I cannot help but wonder when it will be incorporated into the software. 

A friend reminded me that Windoze allows the creation of special symbols. Open up the Format Text editor, click on the Insert Symbol drop down and select the Character Map icon at the bottom. Select MS Gothic as the font (others may work, as well), and scroll down until you see the Circle-U character. Click on it, and the click Select. This will paste the character into the "Characters to copy:" field. Click Copy, return to the Format Text dialog and Paste. Highlight the character again, copy it, and close the text dialog. Double-click on the FCF and Paste the character into the necessary field. You may have to play with the font size to get it to fit into your FCF.

I find it interesting that many other software platforms allow GD&T to be placed directly on the model, completely bypassing the need for a drawing. Since Inventor is unable to accomplish this at the moment, I think it should be possible, at the very least, to be able to add the complete and current 2009 standard characters to a drawing.

But that's just me...

Message 4 of 5
JKFarmerMold
in reply to: 4donwan4

Has this issue been updated since this was posted? As I am running into the issue of a missing datum for "parting line" it looks like a rotated square with a horizontal line going through it. if there is a fix or a way to update please let me know.

Message 5 of 5
b.mccarthy
in reply to: JKFarmerMold

I am using 2015, and the Style Manager still references the ANSI Standard with the 10 year old version Y14.5M-1994. I have no idea if, or when, Autodesk is planning to address this issue. Anyone from Autodesk care to weigh-in here??

Perhaps if enough users complain, the company will allocate a small amount of its immense resources (that we all pay a premium for...) to address this issue. Squeaky wheel gets the grease and all that...

I suppose we should consider ourselves lucky, though. It could still be referencing the 20+ year old 1982 version, as it does for BSI (1983), DIN (1983), GB (1983), ISO (1983) or JIS (1984).

I disagree that this should be an "enhancement" to the software. Inventor is primarily used in manufacturing, and GD&T is the language of communicating design intent to the shop floor and outside suppliers. When a 3rd party accepts a job based upon a set of drawings, said drawings become legal documents. If the part/assembly geometry and its allowable variation is not specified correctly, much revenue can be lost as a result of any inadequate/insufficient/incorrect annotations, such as re-tooling, not to mention the resulting legal brouha which could ensue. 

If Autodesk cannot address the issue of the inclusion of an updated standard, I guess we can forget about having model-based definition as defined in ASME Y14.41-2012. This has been available in other packages for many years now. It is a much more efficient approach in digital design.

That being said, there is also the issue of vendors choosing not to allocate any resources to actually learn the 2009 standard. All of our non-US suppliers are unfamiliar with it and complain, and we are finding the same problem with some US suppliers, even though it is clearly stated on the drawings. Once the job is accepted by the supplier, they then bear the burden of adhering to it, a.k.a. "learning it".

I will see if I can find a workaround for the parting line datum you are seeking.

Thanks.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report