Inventor General Discussion

Reply
*MacGillivray, Bob
Message 1 of 7 (63 Views)

Faster Processors for IV

63 Views, 6 Replies
11-12-2002 10:47 PM
Normally I wouldn't even put this headline in this news group, but the posts
provided by the readers of this headline really gives us a perspective on
where IV users are in relation to other commercial and gaming software (s).
We need the hardware, but to justify the expense, we sometimes have to
overcome IT personnel who feel that a 500 or 800 Mhz machine is good enough.
Sad day, but the price of hardware is still on a downward trend.
http://zdnet.com.com/2100-1103-965411.html
*Bilton, John
Message 2 of 7 (63 Views)

Re: Faster Processors for IV

11-12-2002 11:13 PM in reply to: *MacGillivray, Bob
My current Inventor box is a dual Athlon 2200+, and it is more than fast enough. My old dual P3 866
is used for e-mail, writing CD's and as the instructors machine when running a training course.

As you well know, processor speed isn't the be all and end all, it's no good having a P3 600, uSCSI
160 striped disks with a Quadro7 9000 graphics card with 2GB of on board RAM (tongue in cheek
intended), neither is a P4 3GHz with a 7200rpm IDE and a Matrox G450. It's all about striking a
balance ensuring no one component is causing a bottle neck. Now if money is no object....

John Bilton
*Dotson, Sean
Message 3 of 7 (63 Views)

Re: Faster Processors for IV

11-12-2002 11:15 PM in reply to: *MacGillivray, Bob
If Shakespeare were alive today he would have said:

"The first thing we do, let's kill all the (IT professionals)." [Henry VI,
Part 2]

Seriously, look at my benchmark results on my site. While the program only
gives shades of gray between processors you can get an idea that most people
who are using P4 1GHz and above processors are running quite a bit faster
than those with P3 sub 1GHz processors.

Depends on what you are doing and how many parts in each assy. If you are
doing small 30part assys then 800mHz will suffice. Anything more than that
and you really should look at upgrading.

--
Sean Dotson, PE
http://www.sdotson.com
...sleep is for the weak..
-----------------------------------------
"Bob MacGillivray" wrote in message
news:BA1854A173668445EAF8A22284E6E8C0@in.WebX.maYIadrTaRb...
> Normally I wouldn't even put this headline in this news group, but the
posts
> provided by the readers of this headline really gives us a perspective on
> where IV users are in relation to other commercial and gaming software
(s).
> We need the hardware, but to justify the expense, we sometimes have to
> overcome IT personnel who feel that a 500 or 800 Mhz machine is good
enough.
> Sad day, but the price of hardware is still on a downward trend.
> http://zdnet.com.com/2100-1103-965411.html
>
>
*Conklin, Dustin
Message 4 of 7 (63 Views)

Re:

11-12-2002 11:30 PM in reply to: *MacGillivray, Bob
I will tell when I upgrade to my dual 2.4ghz with a gig of Ram from my dual
750mhz the difference was amazing.
"Sean Dotson" wrote in message
news:4A721CF9982603C882B33DB19D5DE477@in.WebX.maYIadrTaRb...
> If Shakespeare were alive today he would have said:
>
> "The first thing we do, let's kill all the (IT professionals)." [Henry VI,
> Part 2]
>
> Seriously, look at my benchmark results on my site. While the program
only
> gives shades of gray between processors you can get an idea that most
people
> who are using P4 1GHz and above processors are running quite a bit faster
> than those with P3 sub 1GHz processors.
>
> Depends on what you are doing and how many parts in each assy. If you are
> doing small 30part assys then 800mHz will suffice. Anything more than
that
> and you really should look at upgrading.
>
> --
> Sean Dotson, PE
> http://www.sdotson.com
> ...sleep is for the weak..
> -----------------------------------------
> "Bob MacGillivray" wrote in message
> news:BA1854A173668445EAF8A22284E6E8C0@in.WebX.maYIadrTaRb...
> > Normally I wouldn't even put this headline in this news group, but the
> posts
> > provided by the readers of this headline really gives us a perspective
on
> > where IV users are in relation to other commercial and gaming software
> (s).
> > We need the hardware, but to justify the expense, we sometimes have to
> > overcome IT personnel who feel that a 500 or 800 Mhz machine is good
> enough.
> > Sad day, but the price of hardware is still on a downward trend.
> > http://zdnet.com.com/2100-1103-965411.html
> >
> >
>
>
*Moyer, Dan
Message 5 of 7 (63 Views)

Re:

11-14-2002 12:17 AM in reply to: *MacGillivray, Bob
Somebody should test the new Intel P4 3.06GHz with "Hyper-Threading". This
allows muliti-threaded operating systems, like XP Professional to think that
it's dealing with dual CPUs. Inventor's hidden line removal routines are
multi-threaded as are most of the better Open/GL graphics card drivers (like
nVidia). This means that they can take advantage of multi-processors,
assuming you've installed your XP in it's multi-cpu configuration. I would
think that this setup would make a noticable difference in Inventor, at a
much lower cost than dual Xeon's and the required special motherboard. You
have have have the latest Intel 850 chipsets on your motherboard to use
Hyper-Threading.

Dan Moyer

"Dustin Conklin" wrote in message
news:954ED537DBFCC52B15F8C9553E03BABE@in.WebX.maYIadrTaRb...
> I will tell when I upgrade to my dual 2.4ghz with a gig of Ram from my
dual
> 750mhz the difference was amazing.
> "Sean Dotson" wrote in message
> news:4A721CF9982603C882B33DB19D5DE477@in.WebX.maYIadrTaRb...
> > If Shakespeare were alive today he would have said:
> >
> > "The first thing we do, let's kill all the (IT professionals)." [Henry
VI,
> > Part 2]
> >
> > Seriously, look at my benchmark results on my site. While the program
> only
> > gives shades of gray between processors you can get an idea that most
> people
> > who are using P4 1GHz and above processors are running quite a bit
faster
> > than those with P3 sub 1GHz processors.
> >
> > Depends on what you are doing and how many parts in each assy. If you
are
> > doing small 30part assys then 800mHz will suffice. Anything more than
> that
> > and you really should look at upgrading.
> >
> > --
> > Sean Dotson, PE
> > http://www.sdotson.com
> > ...sleep is for the weak..
> > -----------------------------------------
> > "Bob MacGillivray" wrote in message
> > news:BA1854A173668445EAF8A22284E6E8C0@in.WebX.maYIadrTaRb...
> > > Normally I wouldn't even put this headline in this news group, but the
> > posts
> > > provided by the readers of this headline really gives us a perspective
> on
> > > where IV users are in relation to other commercial and gaming software
> > (s).
> > > We need the hardware, but to justify the expense, we sometimes have to
> > > overcome IT personnel who feel that a 500 or 800 Mhz machine is good
> > enough.
> > > Sad day, but the price of hardware is still on a downward trend.
> > > http://zdnet.com.com/2100-1103-965411.html
> > >
> > >
> >
> >
>
>
*Keller, Kent
Message 6 of 7 (63 Views)

Re:

11-14-2002 12:25 AM in reply to: *MacGillivray, Bob
I volunteer. I will be waiting for you to send it over 8^)

--
Kent
Member of the Autodesk Discussion Forum Moderator Program


"Dan Moyer" wrote in message
news:smileyvery-happy:731DAAB840E542E81907D276D1D7CCD@in.WebX.maYIadrTaRb...
> Somebody should test the new Intel P4 3.06GHz with "Hyper-Threading".
*Laimer, Leo
Message 7 of 7 (63 Views)

Re:

11-14-2002 12:32 AM in reply to: *MacGillivray, Bob
Just ordered one, but with Win2k...

I doubt that multithreading will do much good for IV (hopefully somebody
proofs this not true), as IV mostly stresses the floating point unit to the
max most of the time, and max is max, what can multithreading do more here?
The first syntetic benchmarks (3dmark2001SE) done show only the slight
performance gain of 9% due to the higher cpu clock. A test published by
Intel running Lightwave3D points out a "3 times better performance than a
1GHz cpu" - so that is clear?
As I understand things, this hyper threading may be good if you are running
several different apps simultanously.

Regards,
--
Leo Laimer
Maschinen- und Fertigungstechnik
A-4820 Bad Ischl - Austria


"Dan Moyer" schrieb im Newsbeitrag
news:smileyvery-happy:731DAAB840E542E81907D276D1D7CCD@in.WebX.maYIadrTaRb...
> Somebody should test the new Intel P4 3.06GHz with "Hyper-Threading".
This
> allows muliti-threaded operating systems, like XP Professional to think
that
> it's dealing with dual CPUs. Inventor's hidden line removal routines are
> multi-threaded as are most of the better Open/GL graphics card drivers
(like
> nVidia). This means that they can take advantage of multi-processors,
> assuming you've installed your XP in it's multi-cpu configuration. I
would
> think that this setup would make a noticable difference in Inventor, at a
> much lower cost than dual Xeon's and the required special motherboard.
You
> have have have the latest Intel 850 chipsets on your motherboard to use
> Hyper-Threading.
>
> Dan Moyer
>
> "Dustin Conklin" wrote in message
> news:954ED537DBFCC52B15F8C9553E03BABE@in.WebX.maYIadrTaRb...
> > I will tell when I upgrade to my dual 2.4ghz with a gig of Ram from my
> dual
> > 750mhz the difference was amazing.
> > "Sean Dotson" wrote in message
> > news:4A721CF9982603C882B33DB19D5DE477@in.WebX.maYIadrTaRb...
> > > If Shakespeare were alive today he would have said:
> > >
> > > "The first thing we do, let's kill all the (IT professionals)." [Henry
> VI,
> > > Part 2]
> > >
> > > Seriously, look at my benchmark results on my site. While the program
> > only
> > > gives shades of gray between processors you can get an idea that most
> > people
> > > who are using P4 1GHz and above processors are running quite a bit
> faster
> > > than those with P3 sub 1GHz processors.
> > >
> > > Depends on what you are doing and how many parts in each assy. If you
> are
> > > doing small 30part assys then 800mHz will suffice. Anything more than
> > that
> > > and you really should look at upgrading.
> > >
> > > --
> > > Sean Dotson, PE
> > > http://www.sdotson.com
> > > ...sleep is for the weak..
> > > -----------------------------------------
> > > "Bob MacGillivray" wrote in message
> > > news:BA1854A173668445EAF8A22284E6E8C0@in.WebX.maYIadrTaRb...
> > > > Normally I wouldn't even put this headline in this news group, but
the
> > > posts
> > > > provided by the readers of this headline really gives us a
perspective
> > on
> > > > where IV users are in relation to other commercial and gaming
software
> > > (s).
> > > > We need the hardware, but to justify the expense, we sometimes have
to
> > > > overcome IT personnel who feel that a 500 or 800 Mhz machine is good
> > > enough.
> > > > Sad day, but the price of hardware is still on a downward trend.
> > > > http://zdnet.com.com/2100-1103-965411.html
> > > >
> > > >
> > >
> > >
> >
> >
>
>

You are not logged in.

Log into access your profile, ask and answer questions, share ideas and more. Haven't signed up yet? Register

Announcements
Are you familiar with the Autodesk Expert Elites? The Expert Elite program is made up of customers that help other customers by sharing knowledge and exemplifying an engaging style of collaboration. To learn more, please visit our Expert Elite website.

Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions to get help installing your software.

Ask the Community


Inventor Exchange Apps

Created by the community for the community, Autodesk Exchange Apps for Autodesk Inventor helps you achieve greater speed, accuracy, and automation from concept to manufacturing.

Connect with Inventor

Twitter

Facebook

Blogs

Pinterest

Youtube