Inventor General Discussion

Reply
*anton
Message 1 of 30 (59 Views)

Fastener Thread

59 Views, 29 Replies
11-21-2002 10:04 AM
I just started using the fasteners in
INV 6 and the threads do not show up.

Also I tried a 1/4 socket head cap
screw and the body diameter was wrong.

 

What am I missing?

 

Thanks
*Crain, Ron
Message 2 of 30 (59 Views)

Re: Fastener Thread

11-21-2002 10:12 AM in reply to: *anton

 

The key is to not use the standard fasteners in
Inventor and use iParts instead.  They are customizable and more
versatile.


style="PADDING-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; BORDER-LEFT: #000000 2px solid; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px">

I just started using the fasteners
in INV 6 and the threads do not show up.

Also I tried a 1/4 socket head cap
screw and the body diameter was wrong.

 

What am I missing?

 


size=2>Thanks
*Dotson, Sean
Message 3 of 30 (59 Views)

Re:

11-21-2002 10:45 AM in reply to: *anton
<monty burns> excellent </monty
burns>


style="PADDING-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; BORDER-LEFT: #000000 2px solid; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px">


 

The key is to not use the standard fasteners in
Inventor and use iParts instead.  They are customizable and more
versatile.


style="PADDING-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; BORDER-LEFT: #000000 2px solid; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px">

I just started using the
fasteners in INV 6 and the threads do not show up.

Also I tried a 1/4 socket head
cap screw and the body diameter was wrong.

 

What am I missing?

 


size=2>Thanks
*Fulford, Drew
Message 4 of 30 (59 Views)

Re:

11-21-2002 10:56 AM in reply to: *anton
Some of the lookup & replace component functionality options in the new
content is appealing. Its stuff iParts cant do.

I think iParts have their place but for real basic stuff, i think the
content is earning a place. Sorry sean :smileyhappy:

- drew

--
Drew Fulford B.A.Sc. Systems Engineer
Solid Caddgroup Inc. Burlington, Ontario
Tel: (905)331-9670, Fax: (905)331-7280
Corporate: http://www.solidcadcam.com/

Member of the Autodesk Discussion Forum Moderator Program
Visit my MCAD website @ http://www.mymcad.com/



"Ron Crain" wrote in message
news:86299DDED39126646DFDE38C9D42F22D@in.WebX.maYIadrTaRb...
> You're missing the url to http://www.cbliss.com/inventor/iParts.htm
>
> The key is to not use the standard fasteners in Inventor and use iParts
instead. They are customizable and more versatile.
> "anton" wrote in message
news:98790775A4A99AC05A88CE7A2C2CF47D@in.WebX.maYIadrTaRb...
> I just started using the fasteners in INV 6 and the threads do not show
up.
> Also I tried a 1/4 socket head cap screw and the body diameter was
wrong.
>
> What am I missing?
>
> Thanks
>
*Dotson, Sean
Message 5 of 30 (59 Views)

Re:

11-21-2002 10:58 AM in reply to: *anton
"I think the content is earning a place"

Not in most corporate environments. Unless it becomes (say it with me now)
"fully editable and extensible", which, in a funny coincidence, iparts are.

The interface for the library is nice I agree.

Real basic stuff? Does the content library have pneumatic fittings?
sprockets? 80/20 type extrusions? plumbing fittings? carlane type pins?
nope, can you add them in? nope again.

Sorry Drew, I have to disagree. The library is a good first step but
Autodesk took that first step back in (what was it) R2? I would have
expected a bit more by now.

iParts are here to stay baby

-Sean


"Drew Fulford" wrote in message
news:143CAC03037215A3D735C8065B7175B9@in.WebX.maYIadrTaRb...
> Some of the lookup & replace component functionality options in the new
> content is appealing. Its stuff iParts cant do.
>
> I think iParts have their place but for real basic stuff, i think the
> content is earning a place. Sorry sean :smileyhappy:
>
> - drew
>
> --
> Drew Fulford B.A.Sc. Systems Engineer
> Solid Caddgroup Inc. Burlington, Ontario
> Tel: (905)331-9670, Fax: (905)331-7280
> Corporate: http://www.solidcadcam.com/
>
> Member of the Autodesk Discussion Forum Moderator Program
> Visit my MCAD website @ http://www.mymcad.com/
>
>
>
> "Ron Crain" wrote in message
> news:86299DDED39126646DFDE38C9D42F22D@in.WebX.maYIadrTaRb...
> > You're missing the url to http://www.cbliss.com/inventor/iParts.htm
> >
> > The key is to not use the standard fasteners in Inventor and use iParts
> instead. They are customizable and more versatile.
> > "anton" wrote in message
> news:98790775A4A99AC05A88CE7A2C2CF47D@in.WebX.maYIadrTaRb...
> > I just started using the fasteners in INV 6 and the threads do not
show
> up.
> > Also I tried a 1/4 socket head cap screw and the body diameter was
> wrong.
> >
> > What am I missing?
> >
> > Thanks
> >
>
>
*Fulford, Drew
Message 6 of 30 (59 Views)

Re:

11-21-2002 11:23 AM in reply to: *anton
Ok but try and replace 500 1" iPart bolts with 1-1/2" bolts in one shot.
Also, the iMates in Content make replacement across familys painless if you
had used them. Sure iMates can be added to iparts but they arent that common
or freindly yet.

I am not saying to replace iParts all together but for fasteners... maybe
theres a very valid use for content and this is why adesk wont let it die..

I also am quite sure that all those big iPart tables must have an impact on
performance somewhere. Additionally, as we all know, the delicacy of iParts
is naturtally a concern to larger work groups where some are less
proficient. An iPart can actually be a very dangerous thing in the hands of
the unenlightened. They can kill entire assemblies.

- Drew

--
Drew Fulford B.A.Sc. Systems Engineer
Solid Caddgroup Inc. Burlington, Ontario
Tel: (905)331-9670, Fax: (905)331-7280
Corporate: http://www.solidcadcam.com/

Member of the Autodesk Discussion Forum Moderator Program
Visit my MCAD website @ http://www.mymcad.com/



"Sean Dotson" wrote in message
news:836F5543056929E2BCD18BB44226F270@in.WebX.maYIadrTaRb...
> "I think the content is earning a place"
>
> Not in most corporate environments. Unless it becomes (say it with me
now)
> "fully editable and extensible", which, in a funny coincidence, iparts
are.
>
> The interface for the library is nice I agree.
>
> Real basic stuff? Does the content library have pneumatic fittings?
> sprockets? 80/20 type extrusions? plumbing fittings? carlane type pins?
> nope, can you add them in? nope again.
>
> Sorry Drew, I have to disagree. The library is a good first step but
> Autodesk took that first step back in (what was it) R2? I would have
> expected a bit more by now.
>
> iParts are here to stay baby
>
> -Sean
>
>
> "Drew Fulford" wrote in message
> news:143CAC03037215A3D735C8065B7175B9@in.WebX.maYIadrTaRb...
> > Some of the lookup & replace component functionality options in the new
> > content is appealing. Its stuff iParts cant do.
> >
> > I think iParts have their place but for real basic stuff, i think the
> > content is earning a place. Sorry sean :smileyhappy:
> >
> > - drew
> >
> > --
> > Drew Fulford B.A.Sc. Systems Engineer
> > Solid Caddgroup Inc. Burlington, Ontario
> > Tel: (905)331-9670, Fax: (905)331-7280
> > Corporate: http://www.solidcadcam.com/
> >
> > Member of the Autodesk Discussion Forum Moderator Program
> > Visit my MCAD website @ http://www.mymcad.com/
> >
> >
> >
> > "Ron Crain" wrote in message
> > news:86299DDED39126646DFDE38C9D42F22D@in.WebX.maYIadrTaRb...
> > > You're missing the url to http://www.cbliss.com/inventor/iParts.htm

> > >
> > > The key is to not use the standard fasteners in Inventor and use
iParts
> > instead. They are customizable and more versatile.
> > > "anton" wrote in message
> > news:98790775A4A99AC05A88CE7A2C2CF47D@in.WebX.maYIadrTaRb...
> > > I just started using the fasteners in INV 6 and the threads do not
> show
> > up.
> > > Also I tried a 1/4 socket head cap screw and the body diameter was
> > wrong.
> > >
> > > What am I missing?
> > >
> > > Thanks
> > >
> >
> >
>
>
*Crain, Ron
Message 7 of 30 (59 Views)

Re:

11-21-2002 11:41 AM in reply to: *anton
Did I fall asleep and magically Inventor Content is editable for Material,
Vendor, Part numbers?

"Drew Fulford" wrote in message
news:143CAC03037215A3D735C8065B7175B9@in.WebX.maYIadrTaRb...
> Some of the lookup & replace component functionality options in the new
> content is appealing. Its stuff iParts cant do.
>
> I think iParts have their place but for real basic stuff, i think the
> content is earning a place. Sorry sean :smileyhappy:
*Keller, Kent
Message 8 of 30 (59 Views)

Re:

11-21-2002 11:48 AM in reply to: *anton
I agree.........

with both of you

For my paltry needs iParts are the only way to go, but I am sure if I had
more purchased parts needs, I would welcome a well built Library of parts.
Unfortunately as long as they are not able to be modified to individual
company's requirements they are about as useful as a Rev table that cant be
set up to a company's default settings.

Oh PS Wouldn't Replace all do what you ask below? Seems to work for me
the times I have had to use it. .

--
Kent Keller
Member of the Autodesk Discussion Forum Moderator Program

http://www.MyMcad.com/KWiK/Mcad.htm

"Drew Fulford" wrote in message
news:1250F8970E9491FB44DBE73D139CAE7D@in.WebX.maYIadrTaRb...
> Ok but try and replace 500 1" iPart bolts with 1-1/2" bolts in one shot.
*Dotson, Sean
Message 9 of 30 (59 Views)

Re:

11-21-2002 12:32 PM in reply to: *anton
Way to be neutral there Kent Seriously I can see Drew's points and some
of them are valid.

Replace All...I was just going to say that...it's worked for me in the past
too

-Sean

"Kent Keller" wrote in message
news:EFEA64793BA5054FAAC896A6F2180512@in.WebX.maYIadrTaRb...
> I agree.........
>
> with both of you
> >
> Oh PS Wouldn't Replace all do what you ask below? Seems to work for
me
> the times I have had to use it. .
>
> --
> Kent Keller
> Member of the Autodesk Discussion Forum Moderator Program
>
> http://www.MyMcad.com/KWiK/Mcad.htm
*Munro, Neil
Message 10 of 30 (59 Views)

Re:

11-21-2002 12:44 PM in reply to: *anton
Almost. I have already seen a tool that enables you to set material and
render style of library component occurrences on placement (and does so
unobtrusively). I don't know when or even if it will be released for general
consumption, but the possibility is there. The ability to preset properties,
or set then on component placement seems to be the other currently solvable
problem (content creation will probably require more tools from Adesk).
Would the ability to preset, or set on placement, a subset of properties
such as vendor and part number be sufficient, or would all properties need
to be available to make such a tool worthwhile?

Neil



"Ron Crain" wrote in message
news:69BF2D8197090E41729DBB08DAEB0E43@in.WebX.maYIadrTaRb...
> Did I fall asleep and magically Inventor Content is editable for Material,
> Vendor, Part numbers?
>
> "Drew Fulford" wrote in message
> news:143CAC03037215A3D735C8065B7175B9@in.WebX.maYIadrTaRb...
> > Some of the lookup & replace component functionality options in the new
> > content is appealing. Its stuff iParts cant do.
> >
> > I think iParts have their place but for real basic stuff, i think the
> > content is earning a place. Sorry sean :smileyhappy:
>
>
>

You are not logged in.

Log into access your profile, ask and answer questions, share ideas and more. Haven't signed up yet? Register

Announcements
Are you familiar with the Autodesk Expert Elites? The Expert Elite program is made up of customers that help other customers by sharing knowledge and exemplifying an engaging style of collaboration. To learn more, please visit our Expert Elite website.

Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions to get help installing your software.

Ask the Community


Inventor Exchange Apps

Created by the community for the community, Autodesk Exchange Apps for Autodesk Inventor helps you achieve greater speed, accuracy, and automation from concept to manufacturing.

Connect with Inventor

Twitter

Facebook

Blogs

Pinterest

Youtube