Contributor
Mech.Mon
Message 1 of 14 (602 Views)
Accepted Solution

Fairing splines and making tangent lines

602 Views, 13 Replies
06-09-2013 01:50 PM

All,

In other softwares when you creat a spline you are able to adjust the curvature between points by dragging the slope handles at a node. In my file, I have thus far been unable to fair my splines with any kind of consistancy. Also, it should be possible to place a tangent constaint to a straight line at a point, yet I haven't been able to do that either. According to the help files this should be an easy thing to adjust, Why am I not able to?

Distinguished Mentor
rdyson
Message 2 of 14 (568 Views)

Re: Fairing splines and making tangent lines

06-10-2013 06:05 AM in reply to: Mech.Mon
Edit sketch, RMB on the spline - Activate Handle.
Is that not what you expect?
Contributor
Mech.Mon
Message 3 of 14 (567 Views)

06-10-2013 06:07 AM in reply to: rdyson
I can activate the handle, but not adjust it. Nothing happens when I try.
*Expert Elite*
JDMather
Message 4 of 14 (559 Views)

06-10-2013 06:25 AM in reply to: Mech.Mon

I was able to add Tangent and dimension (weight) handles and angle, but not able to drag.

I have never seen  this problem before.

I started a new sketch in your file and it worked fine.  Not sure what is causing the problem with Sketch1.

I'm going to suggest that you break up your Sketch1 into several sketches.

On sketch for your grid (and use equal(=) constraint or Pattern for all those 30 dimensions and any other repeating dimensions).

Create new sketch for each spine and Project Geometry from Sketch1 only those points/lines you need for each spline.

I routinely have multiple splines in one sketch, but something you have done seems to have locked up some of the usual functionality.  It might be best to keep the sketches as simple as possible.

Please mark this response as "Accept as Solution" if it answers your question.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2014 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional
Inventor Professional 2015 64-bit
http://www.autodesk.com/edcommunity
http://home.pct.edu/~jmather/content/DSG322/inventor_surface_tutorials.htm
Distinguished Mentor
rdyson
Message 5 of 14 (556 Views)

06-10-2013 06:33 AM in reply to: Mech.Mon
I suggest drawing only one spline per sketch. If you need them all in one sketch, then when you are happy with them all, create a new sketch and project each spline to it.
Mentor
tsreagan
Message 6 of 14 (549 Views)

06-10-2013 07:00 AM in reply to: rdyson

If you spline is touching the line that you want the "tangent at point" constraint on,  then you may be able to combine a point constraint and a tangent one.

TS

Employee
johnsonshiue
Message 7 of 14 (534 Views)

06-10-2013 10:01 AM in reply to: Mech.Mon

Hi! It is not intuitive when the degree of freedom is available but the handle cannot be dragged. Even though dragging is not allowed, you can still dimension it (angle and magnitude).

I cannot say it for sure if the behavior is to stablize the fit-point spline.The spline is partially constrained. I suspect it is because dragging the handle could deform the spline in a restricted manner, which could violate certain assumptions during the drag.

Thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Principal SQA Engineer, Inventor
Mechanical Design
Autodesk, Inc.

*Expert Elite*
JDMather
Message 8 of 14 (530 Views)

06-10-2013 10:11 AM in reply to: johnsonshiue

johnsonshiue wrote:

...I cannot say it for sure if the behavior is to stablize the fit-point spline.The spline is partially constrained....Thanks!

It doesn't look to be any different than splines I am normally able to manipulate by dragging handle ends. (constrained fit points)

Please mark this response as "Accept as Solution" if it answers your question.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2014 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional
Inventor Professional 2015 64-bit
http://www.autodesk.com/edcommunity
http://home.pct.edu/~jmather/content/DSG322/inventor_surface_tutorials.htm
Distinguished Mentor
rdyson
Message 9 of 14 (522 Views)

06-10-2013 10:25 AM in reply to: johnsonshiue

Interesting, you can manipulate the handles using dimensions even though dragging doesn't work.

Image1.png

Employee
johnsonshiue
Message 10 of 14 (519 Views)

06-10-2013 10:26 AM in reply to: JDMather

Hi! Indeed, a simple partially constrained fit-point spline may not look too different from Mech.Mon's spline. However, The key difference is the way the constraints were applied. Look at Mech.Mon's spline. If you delete the horizontal construction line and the horizontal dimension 7.250, then the handle will be draggable. Unless there is a bug somewhere (it is not impossible), the behavior shows that the construction line and the dimension somehow reduce the degree of freedom allowing dragging to be successful.

Thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Principal SQA Engineer, Inventor
Mechanical Design
Autodesk, Inc.

You are not logged in.

Log into access your profile, ask and answer questions, share ideas and more. Haven't signed up yet? Register

Announcements
Are you familiar with the Autodesk Expert Elites? The Expert Elite program is made up of customers that help other customers by sharing knowledge and exemplifying an engaging style of collaboration. To learn more, please visit our Expert Elite website.

Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions to get help installing your software.

Ask the Community

Inventor Exchange Apps

Created by the community for the community, Autodesk Exchange Apps for Autodesk Inventor helps you achieve greater speed, accuracy, and automation from concept to manufacturing.

Connect with Inventor

Twitter

Facebook

Blogs

Pinterest

Youtube