Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FOLDERS IN MODEL BROWSER

12 REPLIES 12
Message 1 of 13
msklein
629 Views, 12 Replies

FOLDERS IN MODEL BROWSER

Is there a way to do patterns inside of a folder in the browser tree? When doing a pattern of bolts from within the folder it blows my pattern out of the folder. Is this correct behavior, or did I do something wrong. Folders would be great for condensing all my mounting hardware but only if I can group them together.

12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13
mcgyvr
in reply to: msklein

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Autodesk-Inventor/A-short-letter-from-a-component-pattern/td-p/2821634

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269
Message 3 of 13
msklein
in reply to: mcgyvr

Are you trying to tell me that folders have been around that long and i have just noticed it in last month or so. I realy hate to think what this realy means. And yea I have alyways had a problem with the fact that i can't move patern"s. But now it has become a bigger problem. Another half baked idea, with lack of follow thru.

Message 4 of 13
mcgyvr

Yep..always been like that since folders were introduced.

It is possible to get a pattern into a folder but ONLY via one trick.. I believe the folder must be directly above the pattern and then you can't do any rearranging..

Yeah its total BS that this hasn't been fixed by now.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Message 5 of 13
Doug_DuPont

I'm using 2012 and I can add pattern components to folder? I do it like this. I can make a pattern and then right click on the pattern and select Add to new folder. 

Douglas DuPont
Inventor 2016 Pro, Vault 2016 Pro
Quadro M4000
Windows 10 64 Bit
Message 6 of 13
cmcconnell
in reply to: Doug_DuPont

I would like to add patterns (I would also like the ability to drag and drop folders back)  to existing folders and I want to be able to drag and drop piping components that are placed from Content center into folders without having to copy paste them first.

Mechanix Design Solutions inc.
Message 7 of 13
mcgyvr
in reply to: Doug_DuPont

@Doug_DuPont wrote:

I'm using 2012 and I can add pattern components to folder? I do it like this. I can make a pattern and then right click on the pattern and select Add to new folder. 

Yes that works.. But thats it.. Now try to move that folder around or do any rearranging and you cannot.

Message 8 of 13
mcgyvr
in reply to: cmcconnell

@CMCCONNELL wrote:

I would like to add patterns (I would also like the ability to drag and drop folders back)  to existing folders and I want to be able to drag and drop piping components that are placed from Content center into folders without having to copy paste them first.

Yep me too. But you can't currently.

Patterns and any "routed system" stuff like cable harness nodes/piping nodes have severe limitations with browser folders..

Nothing like cleaning out your garage and putting 99% of the stuff into nice bins then just having a pile of crap in the corner that you can't put into bins.

Message 9 of 13
dick_upton

Don't make me start a PETITION!!

Message 10 of 13
msklein
in reply to: dick_upton

Yes, and there is no reason for not being able to move patters around so they can be added to an existing folder or even a new folder. this includes old patterns. Or moving the folderwith patterns inside.And while I’m at it naming of patterns is just outright a pain. I can't get the name to open so to allow renaming, it's just so finicky at times.

Message 11 of 13
mcgyvr

@msklein wrote:

Yes, and there is no reason for not being able to move patters around so they can be added to an existing folder or even a new folder. this includes old patterns. Or moving the folderwith patterns inside.

Well actually there is a reason that has to do with how the program is coded. and this restriction was around before folders were even introduced. Not that it can't be fixed but sadly its just not on Autodesks priority list for the last few years.  If they made everything "perfect" from the start they wouldn't have anything to fix. Smiley Sad

Message 12 of 13
cmcconnell

IIRC, way back in R4 - R5 timeframe, we could move patterns in teh browser. Then they took assembly browser re-order away for a release or 2, and then they brought half of it back....

Mechanix Design Solutions inc.
Message 13 of 13
msklein
in reply to: cmcconnell

YOUR'E Right I had forgot about that, man was i pis**** about that. And you should have heard the uproar.

MSK

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report